Friday 14 November 2014

What Normal Tea Drinkers Fail To Understand About The Tea Obsessive.


(Half of my tea collection, before my recent move).

Whilst fancying some retail therapy recently, but with funds seriously lacking, I decided to treat myself to a sampler of apple keemun tea from my favourite teashop. (It's yet to arrive, but review coming ASAP). I didn't think to mention this to my mum (who is putting me up after my recent split) until this morning. "What, more tea?" she asked. "Yeah, I have a spare caddy floating around so I wanted to try it", I replied. With much (joking) huffing and puffing mum mumbled something under her breath (but secretly I think she likes my tea obsession, as it means she gets to try some really fabulous stuff).

Mum, like the rest of my family, simply does not get my obsession with tea. For them, it's a nice relaxing drink, but it's just that - a drink. It doesn't really matter if it's Tetley, PG Tips, Typhoo, or Twinings. They find one tea they like and stick to it. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it doesn't actually quite work like that for the tea obsessive.

The first thing you need to know about a tea obsessive is that tea run's through their blood. If you cut them, they would bleed Keemun, Darjeeling, Earl Grey or whatever their favourite tea is. Physically, you cannot go very long without tea, which is why a lot of obsessives have things like Bodum travel mugs so they can make the trip to or from work with tea. For me, the mere thought of going without tea for a few hours sends me into a state of near panic.

Secondly, tea isn't just tea for the obsessive. It's their lifeline, their emotional support, their life. It keeps them going, give's them comfort and calms them. A hug in a mug. A crutch to lean upon. The list is endless.

Thirdly, for the obsessive tea is to be savoured. Each taste, each sip cherished and appreciated. Slugging back a brew whilst heading out of the door just isn't something a true obsessive (well, me, to be honest!) would not do. If I don't have the time to enjoy the cup, I'd rather go without. It's almost treason like to drink it any other way.

Fourthly, a tea obsessive is incredibly proud of their collection. I actually take it to heart, and take umbridge, when anything relating to MY tea is criticised in the slightest manner. That awful phrase - "tea is tea" has led to one or two people getting a telling off when said in my earshot. We are loyal and incredibly defensive.

But there are downsides to loving tea so much. I have morphed into a younger version of Hyacinth Bucket, taking a slightly superior air when I drink my tea! Terrible ... I know! But I'm honest enough to admit it.

My obsession with tea is hard to understand. My family are certainly perplexed by it. What confuses them even more is once I hated tea so much I even resented making it for my parents, so the change is staggering for them to see, I suppose.

Today I was called a tea-aholic, and I think that's about right. And if my never ending desire to try just one more blend, or to find that ultimate of ultimates continues, I will have to resort to behaving like shopaholics do. Maybe I'll have to start hiding tea in the back of the wardrobe, in empty cereal packets and behind the kitchen cupboard! Who knows?

But life without tea is something almost incomprehensible, a alien concept. Would I have it any other way though? Absolutely not. I've made lovely mates, and experienced some incredible tea. 

So, I'm Laura. And I'm a tea obsessive. Do I care? No! Will I ever change? Certainly not. Will my family ever understand it? Nope! But I'm happy as I am. Now I'm off to make a brew ... Wild Cherry anyone?












No comments:

Post a Comment