Friday 2 September 2016

Twinings: Cutty Sark Gunpowder Green Tea


This morning I am enjoying Twinings really good Gunpowder Green tea, that comes in this pretty Cutty Sark caddy. So, on this dull Friday morning decided there would be no better time to review this impressive tea!

Gunpowder Green is a Chinese green tea. It's name comes from the actual appearance of the tea - it's rolled into tiny balls of tea that do resemble old fashioned gunpowder pellets.  When you shake the tin it really does rattle and roll!

The tea itself comes in this brilliant green caddy, which features an impression of the world famous British tea clipper, The Cutty Sark, which is on permanent display in Greenwich, London. You can visit this fantastic ship and I'm pretty sure this tea will be available to buy in the gift shop. It's also available online on Twinings shop, too. I love the naval theme which also decorates the caddy. It's a follow on from the really pretty packaging that was used on the jubilee and royal baby tea's.

When I first saw this tea I thought the price - £15 - was expensive. And I will admit that I got this caddy in a discount store in the UK, called Lathams, which is located in a place called Potter Heigham in Norfolk. I paid the princely sum of £2.90 because the use by date of this tea is the end of this month. The big question though, having tasted it, would I pay £15? I would most certainly.This caddy contains 200g's of tea which is a substantial amount of tea, so, yes, I think it's worth £15.

I am, if I'm honest, quite wary of green tea that is produced for the mass market. I find that some of the green tea's that are available to be sold in supermarkets are of a slightly lesser quality, often bitter and hard to drink, and quite off putting to the green tea newbie. So, when I try a more commercial green tea it's with a bit of reluctance. With this tea, I was more than surprised.

Green tea can be quite hard to prepare, it's fiddly,  you have to monitor temperatures, time it correctly, try to work out a decent tea to water ratio. It's all a pain in the backside, unless you have the luxury of the Sage Tea Maker, which, I will admit I do. So reading the preparation instructions it said add boiling water - yes, boiling water! - and infuse for two minutes. Hmm, I thought to myself. Boiling water and tea? Normally, I follow the instructions, then alter it if it's undrinkable to me.

I was very surprised that actually this tea is robust enough to easily flourish in boiling water. Though, I will admit I timed it exactly for two minutes, and it makes a utterly perfect cup of tea. No more infusion, no less. Two minutes makes a perfect cup of tea.

The grassy element of green tea will either make you love it or hate it. I admit I like that quality about green tea, and this does have that slightly vegetable like element. Thankfully, though it's not at all strong, or overwhelming. It's just that special tang that makes green tea utterly divine (in my eyes).

This Gunpowder Green tea is utterly tasty. It's has flavour, enough to make you appreciate that you're having a wonderful cup of tea. But what I truly love is this tea's smoothness. It's so easy to drink and very mellow.  It's gentle on the taste buds and totally lacks any bitterness - an element I can appreciate puts so many people off.

I felt really refreshed after taking this tea, but it's also strong enough to kick start you in the mornings, which is nice if you fancy a change from black tea or coffee. This is ideal to serve up as afternoon tea, and perfect for that end of day winding down drink too. It's a versatile tea that can be taken any time of the day.

In my opinion, this tea is delicate and is perfect for those who are new to green tea drinking and who may find some others on the market a little too strong. But it's satisfying enough for those who are established green drinkers.

I will admit that I wasn't impressed by Twinings recent new green tea, the steamed green tea range. I could never prepare it just right and it always seemed so bitter. But oh, how Twinings have got this one so right. It's utterly delicious.

I can only speak as I find - and this tea gets not one but two thumbs up! So if you find yourself visiting the Cutty Sark treat yourself to a tin of this truly delightful tea. If you're not, order it online. If you're a green tea lover DO NOT miss out on this blend.

And if you're stepping into the green tea world for the first time, prepare this exactly as it says on the tin and you will be guaranteed a beautiful, refreshing cup of joy. 










No comments:

Post a Comment