Wednesday 25 June 2014

T Box Teas: Gunpowder Mint - Yep, I'm Trying Mint Tea!


It is indeed very surprising that I'm reviewing a mint based tea. You'll all know that mint tea just doesn't agree with me. Well, not in it's pure form at least (peppermint tea makes me gag!), however, I've been enjoying tea that contains mint in addition to other flavours. 

Recently I was very kindly sent some samples from Sally who works for T Box Teas and included in the samples was this Gunpowder Mint.

Gunpowder is a gorgeous green tea, but how would it fair with mint added? 

Each silky, hand stitched envelope came wrapped in it's own plastic wrapper. The first thing I noticed about this tea was how much tea was in each teabag! A really impressive amount. The teabag is lovely to touch. 

When I took the envelope out of the plastic wrapped I inhaled the scent of the tea and it really reminded me of Trebor's Soft Mints. It's more of a spearmint aroma to it rather then peppermint, so the minty scent was soft and delicate, not as strong as peppermint.

It said to brew this tea between three to four minutes so timed it at three as I didn't want it to be too strong. As it brewed it took on a wonderful green colour, which I admired very much.


You can see in the photo above how full of tea the teabag is. You really do get your money's worth. The leaves are nice and large too which make for a better quality tea.

What will it taste like though, and indeed, will I even be able to finish the cup what with it's mint content?

I took my first sip rather tentatively. Just like when I first tried Earl Grey, I must admit, I really was apprehensive. I was pleasantly surprised.

There is a real earthy element to Gunpowder green tea. I must admit such earthiness took a bit of getting used to when I started to drink green tea but it's a taste now that I really enjoy. There is a herbal element to it and you can't help but feel you are drinking something really healthy. It's a strong green tea, which I really appreciate. It's tasty, strong and very moreish.

Now onto the mint. This was the one part I was hesitant about. But I liked it. It's delicate and not at all overpowering and a good balance to the strength of the green tea. It leaves your mouth feeling refreshed and I can say, after a long day, I really enjoyed it. It's a perfect tonic.

Having been caught up writing this blog about a quarter of the cup went cold but I still found it pleasant to drink even when it had cooled. I was genuinely surprised that I would like this, but, I should of listened to Sally at T Box Tea's who said herself that she liked the tea even though mint wasn't her favourite type of tea.

I don't think I'll ever enjoy peppermint tea - if something makes you gag you won't do, but I really loved this and will probably be buying a full box. It's really refreshing and light, and if you like iced tea's this would be a ideal candidate on a hot day.

Thank you so much to Sally for sending me this! She thought I'd like it and she was right. It was fantastic to try this tea. If you're a mint tea lover you'll certainly like it, if you're not and want to try mint tea, this is the perfect tea for that first step into the world of mint tea!


No comments:

Post a Comment