Saturday 10 January 2015

Adiago Tea: Green Popcorn


When I created this blog, I decided straight away that honesty is the best policy. On the whole, I'm generally positive about most tea's that I try, but when I stumble across a tea that doesn't appeal, I have to be as equally forthright as I would with the tea's I like.

It's not easy to write a negative review, but, to keep my integrity - both personal and on this blog - if I dislike a tea, I feel I have to write that.

I always hear positive things about Adiago Tea. I have one very good friend - who kindly sent me some samples of which this is one - who raves about Adiago and one or two others that I chat to in the tea world who are keen fans.

I have several samples in my sample box which I am looking forward to trying, but their Green Popcorn (or Genmai Cha as it's also known) just did not hit the spot for me.

Green Popcorn comes in a silky pyramid and the amount of tea is plentiful. As you can see  in the picture below there is a good mixture of green tea and toasted, popped rice.


Sadly, it all went downhill rather quickly for me as soon as I poured the hot water onto the tea. The smell turned my stomach. It was as if I had poured hot water onto my Rice Krispies which was something I would not do. The aroma, though not unappealing to some I should imagine, just did not appeal to me.

But, trying not to judge a tea by its aroma, I stuck with it. As I tucked myself up in bed, I gingerly took my first sip.

The base tea, which is green, is very tasty. Sadly though it is lost to the popcorn type flavour of the toasted rice. Essentially, you are drinking popcorn with hot water poured on top - that's exactly what it tastes like. It has a nutty element to it which is nice but everything seemed to be swamped for me by it's slightly off putting aroma.

I did stick with this tea. I managed to drink half the cup but could drink no more or it.

It's simply a tea that just didn't  work for me. On the other hand there will be readers out there who are excited by this tea and will enjoy it. What is one man's meat is another man's poison, and I can only write how I find a tea.

If you like popcorn, nutty or even malty type tea's this will be perfect for you. It certainly is a tea that will leave an impression, whether it be negative or positive!

I do have other Adiago tea's in my sample box and I'm excited to try them. I like the brand, just wasn't too keen on this particular blend.

But, will you like popcorn tea? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment