Monday 12 January 2015

Kensington Tea Company: Chinese Pai Mu Tan


Today, I have a very different review for you. I am reviewing Kensington Tea Company's lovely white tea Pai Mu Tan (White Peony). White tea reviews are few and far between on here, I will admit, so it's really exciting to review this tea.

When you order from Kensington Tea you always get a free sample. Just before Christmas I ordered some tea's and this was the free sample that I received.

Upon sorting through my tea cupboard this afternoon, I stumbled on this tea so thought I'd give it a go.

Pai Mu Tan is a tea that looks natural. It's gorgeous to look at with different sorts of leaves added into the blend. As you can see below it's lovely and colourful and just really nice to look at.


(Picture taken from Kensington Tea).

I really do like white tea, but, in all fairness, I've not experienced vast quantities of white tea. In addition, I also mainly drink it with flavour added (it often comes with peach flavouring) so it was nice to try it pure.

This is the first loose white tea I've tried.

There is something really earthy about this tea. It's a tea that is delicate, as white tea often is, but at the same time, it's a tea you can get your teeth into. I find this tea a very natural one, and it just feels very wholesome when drinking it. It's also incredibly moreish too.

Pai Mu Tan has a delicate sweetness to it too. Almost honey like but it's very smooth and easy to drink. There is a element of green tea about it too, and you would be excused if you thought this was green tea.

Despite being a delicate white tea there is a fullness to this tea, you feel totally satisfied and refreshed after drinking a cup. Or two. Or even four like I have today. Pai Mu Tan is just one of those tea's that you have the kettle boiling before the first cup is even finished.

You need no milk or any sweetener or sugar with this tea it's perfect as it is.

Of course, being a delicate tea there are strict "rules" for brewing white tea. You MUST let the water cool for three minutes before you pour it on your tea. I made the mistake of not following this on my first infusion and it scolded the leaves and made it bitter.

You can infuse this tea for two to five minutes. And the good thing is that you can re-infuse the leaves three times so you get a lot for what you pay for!

As normal with Kensington Tea Company, the tea is of a superb quality. Also, in my experience, orders are dispatched quickly and my experience when purchasing from the company is just pure joy. The tea is lovely, it's packaged elegantly and just a great experience.

So why not give Pai Mu Tan a go? It's tasty, delicious, light and refreshing and just heavenly.

And don't forget that with every order placed with Kensington Tea you earn loyalty points that you can save up and use against future purchases. And of course, you get a free sample enclosed ... and we all love a free sample don't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment