Wednesday 4 May 2016

Twinings Say Farewell To Their Traditional Chai.






Aside from my love of tea, one of my many other loves is window shopping for tea. Earlier this week I was looking on the Twinings website searching for a box of Chai, which I've been hankering after, and discovered, with a dose of surprise, that my beloved chai is being discontinued.

I haven't seen this tea on the shelves in a long time. In fact, it seemed to be replaced by the new Spicy Chai which, due to the addition of ginger, is a totally different tea. Therefore, I've ordered myself several boxes, which I will ration, so I can enjoy this beauty for a while longer.

Twinings Chai is a smooth, black tea, flavoured with cinnamon, cloves and other spices. It's best taken with milk and a liberal amount of sugar. It's comforting and warming on cold nights.

I had originally switched to chai after Twinings discontinued their wonderful Mulled Spice Christmas Tea which was out of this world and simply a tea that Twinings have never been able to replicate during the seasonal period. Their Christmas Cake tea was brilliant but never quite found it's way into my heart like Mulled Spice did!

It seems over the past couple of years that Twinings have gone through a revival, and have radically changed their lines of tea. It started back in 2015 when they repackaged their traditional Earl and Lady Grey with some fantastic new designs.

The sheer amount of tea they now sell is, quite frankly, staggering. They have added to their fruit, herbal, green and black lines. In black tea they have the wonderful China Rose tea (review coming soon), in green tea's they have Apple and Elderflower, in herbal tea's they have added a mint selection pack and in fruit tea have come up with oranges and lemons - and that is just the tip of the iceberg. As a tea lover, it's natural to be excited when new and inventive lines come up. And, I will admit, they seem to have upped the quality of their basic black tea's too.

At the same time, though, it's saddening when regular favourites get discontinued. At the expense of old, much loved tea's come the new, exciting tea's. But, I feel, this is a dangerous strategy. What if the new tea's are not hits? Could Twining's loose the foothold they have on the supermarket shelves?

It is also somewhat galling to see something as hideous as Beetroot Burst sitting on the shelves, when something as nice, and popular, as Chai gets relegated to the Twining's archives. I'm just hoping that my much loved Lady Grey doesn't get discontinued. That would be a step too far.

I am all for change. All for ringing in the new. The fact that there are tea blenders out there creating some wonderful new blends is both exciting and intriguing to the tea obsessive. I also appreciate that there isn't room on the shelves of supermarkets, on in fact, in Twinings own shop for everything. But tradition isn't a bad thing either.

And I generally do not understand why Twinings are discontinuing a line that not only sells well (I can't count how many times I've seen the "out of stock" sticker under the Chai space) but is a customer favourite. But then again, that is probably why I'm a only a tea blogger and not the head of a huge, massive tea company!






5 comments:

  1. Welcome back Laura! I've really missed your posts. Hope you'll carry on blogging. It's too bad that Twinings are discontinuing Chai. I buy it from the local English shop near to where I live as it's just too tasty. I hope that they will soon stock the Spicy Chai. A brilliant post and look forward to reading your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RUBBISH. WHY SHOULD NEW TEAS NOT BE SOLD JUST BECAUSE PEOPLE HANG ONTO THE SAME OLD BORING STUFF? WE DON'T ALL LIVE IN A EARL GREY WORLD LIKE YOU DO. MOVE ON IT'S BORING.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comment, Robert.

    I do agree that room should always be made for new tea's, which is a point I made in my post. However, Twinings is known all over the world for it's tea and that includes it's traditional blends.

    My issue with the retirement of the traditional chai is that I don't want to see TRADITIONAL blends being consigned to the dustbin to make room for faddy tea's that wont sell.

    Lets be honest here, will Twinings, in say, thirty years time, be remembered for it's Intensely Beetroot Burst or it's exquiste Lady or Earl Grey?

    The fact of the matter is the traditional chai, as opposed to the awful Spicy Chai, was a brilliant seller. There are plenty of other tea's that could of been discontinued rather than one of it's top sellers.

    I'm sure there is logic behind Twining's thinking, but I just can't see or understand it.

    We have corresponded in the past, Robert, and I know you are a Twinings advocate. I know that despite your quote of us not all living in a Earl Grey world, I know it's one of your favourite blends. How would you feel if they were to suddenly stop producing it? It would be nonsensical.

    My main arguement is why the hell am I seeing Beetroot Burst on the shelf - a tea that nobody who has tried it has really liked - and yet a traditional, yes, traditonal part of Twining's make up is being dumped.

    It's a good question to ask. Bare in mind Robert, one day it's Chai, the next it could be Earl Grey, Lady Grey or their English Breakfast.

    And I also know you are a keen loose tea drinker. You may find it interesting to know that in the Co-op they are selling off loose Earl Grey as a "all stock must go" sale.

    Should we all move on, Robert? .....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that sucks. It's the only tea that i ever drink! I have tried other brands of Chai but it never tasted the same as Twinings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand completely. I have tried other Chai's and they seem to lack the delicate balance that Twinings had with this tea. And it's just another example of them getting rid of seemingly good selling tea for rather fanciful and out there flavours. I do hope you can find a good substitute for this tea somewhere!

      Delete