Friday 20 March 2015

Golden Tips: Mankota Exotic Assam


I will readily admit that it has been years - at least three years, in fact - since I've taken Assam tea. Years ago I would drink Assam with milk and sugar. It made for a fabulous cup of tea. However, when I decided to drink tea black, and when I stopped adding sugar and sweetener, I found Assam to be a slightly malty, off putting tea, and subsequently stopped drinking it.

When I recently received a sample of tea's from Golden Tips I was interested to see Assam tea in the pack of samples as it's not a tea that is usually sent out in sample packs. Considering I recently changed my opinion on Lapsang Souchong and Peppermint tea I thought I'd give this tea a try!

Mankota Exotic Assam is a second flush tea, meaning it was harvested during the summer season. It originates from the Mankota estate in Assam and was harvested on the 27th June 2014. (I love Golden Tips as on all their tea's you have stickers telling you the exact date it was harvested!).

As you can see in the photo below, the appearance of this tea is wonderful. I absolutely loved the dark tea leaves that had golden tips added to make a interesting, colourful tea. I also loved the chocolate like aroma that the dried leaves gave off.

(The dark leaves were stunning, the golden tips that were added provided a stark difference in colour. A rich tea which felt lovely to the touch, had an alluring chocolate aroma and was inviting for all the senses).

I carefully measured out the exact amount of tea I needed to put in my Sage tea maker. I was really glad to see the sample provided just the right amount of tea for two infusions!

The really good thing about the Sage tea maker is that you can see the entire infusion process from the start to the end and it gives you a really good opportunity to see the different hue's a tea can take during the brewing period.

(Halfway through the three minutes infusion time the tea was a lovely golden colour. By the time it had finished brewing it was a deep copper colour).

I brewed this tea for three minutes, the least amount of time recommended. However, being unsure about how I'd feel about the Assam tea, I decided to brew it for the least amount of time. Next time, though, I'd brew it for a little longer.

When I opened up the basket in the tea maker I had a good smell of the wet leaves and already I could tell this was going to be an extremely malty drink. Would I like it, considering I've often written on here that the reason I didn't drink Assam (and English Breakfast) was the fact it was too malty for me.

What I experienced when I took my first sip was that this was a perfectly brewed cup of tea. It has a robust, flavour that is gorgeous and ultimately, satisfying. This is absolutely perfect for those who like their tea to have a bit of a kick and which makes your tastebuds dance. It is perhaps not for those who like their tea light and floral!

On my first sip I took in the entire flavour of the tea. From that initial malty taste, right through to the chocolate like afterbite. And I was surprised that I liked it so much.

The much dreaded malty-ness, the thing I used to hate so much in tea, was actually a pleasant addition to the tea. I felt warmed drinking this tea, and as it was the first cup of the day, it certainly gave me that early morning boost! It really did wake me up and that is no mean achievement if you're like me - someone who wakes up slowly in the morning.

I just loved how full of flavour this tea is, I love how it makes your mouth feel after a sip, and even though it's a black tea, it's very refreshing and does cleanse the palate.

Mankota Exotic Assam is a tea that makes it's presence fully known. It's bold, bright and confident.  It's full of flavour and it's coppery red colour is extremely attractive to look at too. This is a brilliant example of a very high quality Assam tea.

And, despite it's strength, despite the fact I take this black, it has not a trace of bitterness or tartness that I have experienced with some black tea's.

So, have I been converted from a anti-Assam to a pro-Assam tea drinker? I'd say yes. But, as in many situations, this is a shining example of how quality can change your mind with regards to the tea's you drink.

Partly why I've been put off Assam at times is that the quality has been lacking, leading to a overt malty taste and a feeling that the tea is stale. With Golden Tip's Assam you feel the freshness in a cup, and although malty, this tea has other attractive characteristics, too.

I know I say this a LOT but .... quality, quality, quality .. it's the key, simple as that. This is a extremely high quality Assam and it has made the difference from me enjoying the tea and me not. Also, learning how to brew tea correctly also helps.

This year, so far, I've changed my opinion about Lapsang Souchong and Peppermint tea. And I'm glad (and proud) to be able to add Assam to that list, too.

I think, as we get older our tastes change, and I think drinking tea black for so long now, I see tea in a different light. I can enjoy every facet of a tea. When I first started drinking black tea Assam was the first blend I tried, and in retrospect, it was a little too strong to try black straight away, and that, I feel, is the mistake I've made.

It was a pleasure to try this tea and I can really say I enjoyed every sip.

Would I purchase more Assam? Well, yes, I would. But it would be from Golden Tips as this tea was just perfect. It's flavoursome, tasty and extremely enjoyable, yet, not overpowering at all.

If you love Assam you'll love Mankota Exotic Assam. It will certainly impress you!


No comments:

Post a Comment