Monday 9 March 2015

Laura's Tea Room On The Move: Costa Coffee: Twinings Simply Sencha


This weekend I happened to find myself in a branch of Costa Coffee. I am not at all a coffee lover and rather then opt for a cold drink decided to ask the young man behind the counter what tea they had. He reeled off a fairly comprehensive list. Gingersnap Peach (didn't fancy that ), English Breakfast (me and this blend have issues), Mint or Green tea.

I opted for green tea.

What was served to me was a Twinings Simply Sencha green tea.

In Costa they seemed to know how to prepare green tea correctly and handed me a pot of hot water, which, being a green tea, I let cool down for several minutes. I loved the large latte cup that was I was given to use.

Whilst my friends were drinking their tea I waited patiently. This could possibly be the only cup of tea I'd have in ages so wanted to brew it correctly.

When I poured the cooled water on the teabag the tea brewed to probably one of the most incredible shades of green I've ever seen. It looks very clear in the photo but the tea brewed to a sparkling, light emerald colour. I was quite impressed with it.

Simply Sencha is a pure green tea that has no flavouring added. It's green tea in it's simplest state.

This tea has a very earthy, plant like aroma. I believe this would be possibly slightly off putting to those who hadn't experienced green tea before - I know some of the people I was with didn't like the smell of it at all. I found it to be quite interesting and completely natural.

Simply Sencha has a smooth, delicate and mellow flavour to it, and has slightly floral tones to it. It certainly tastes very different to how I expected it to.

I loved the mellow tones to this tea and found it to be a incredibly satisfying.

If you are new to green tea then it would be worthwhile learning how to brew it correctly. This would go slightly bitter if over brewed or if boiling hot water was added to the leaves - I can tell that this tea has the potential go go from something that is nice to something that is horrible if the time isn't taken to make it correctly.

Simply Sencha is a fairly new tea that is part of their silky pyramid tea that were released towards the end of last year.

I found this a thoroughly nice cup of green tea - certainly the best available that you can purchase in a supermarket.

The silky pyramids are on sale in Costa as well as supermarkets and cost £3.49 for twelve silky pyramids.


No comments:

Post a Comment