Tuesday 31 March 2015

Golden Tips: Thurbo Moonlight Darjeeling White Tea


My last post was a article about white tea so I thought it was pretty apt to now review a white tea.

Just recently I was extremely fortunate to receive a set of samples from Golden Tips tea. In the packet was a sample of Thurbo Moonlight Darjeeling, a stunning white tea.

Thurbo Moonlight comes from Darjeeling in India, from the Thurbo estate. It's a first flush tea, meaning it was harvested in Spring. In this case the tea was harvested on the 7th April 2014.

The tea's "moonlight" element came because it was picked just before sunrise.

I really like white tea. I like it pure and flavoured, though I will readily admit it's not for everyone as the flavour can be extremely delicate, and, compared to black tea that is full of flavour and green tea that has it's own unique taste, white tea can be seen, by some, as a sort of "nothing" tea that is both unsatisfying and a little lack lustre.

But I like the gentleness of white tea. I like the light, refreshing flavour and it's a tea that is perfectly matched with lighter meals such as salad and light sponge cake. Personally, at times, such as really hot weather, I find black tea too heavy on my stomach, so white tea makes a wonderful change.

 (Thurbo Moolight Darjeeling is a pretty tea to look at and tasty too).

This morning I had a craving for white tea and brewed up a pot of this wonderful blend.

To look at this tea is exceptionally pretty. It's curly green and white leaves are very attractive and parts of the tea still visibly have the fine white hairs remaining. Just an attractive tea to look at, but of course a tea goes deeper then it's appearance.

I set up the tea maker and brewed it for three minutes. It brewed to a rich caramel colour. 

I was quite surprised by this tea as it was a lot stronger in taste then I am used to in white tea. It is certainly a white tea that packs a punch.

I adored the mellow element of this tea. It's smooth and refreshing and very, very enjoyable.  There is a delicate sweetness to this tea, which makes it easy to drink and a wonderful blend to relax to at the end of the day.
There are slight honey tones to the aroma, and a very discreet floral taste when you drink the tea. It's very light and delicate but at the same time fulfilling and full of flavour. 

I will sit here and write that this, by far, is the nicest white tea that I've ever tasted. It has flavour, but is not strong, making it perfect for tea lovers who like subtlety rather then obvious flavour. It's the perfect blend of taste but is not bitter or astringent either, which white tea, like it's green cousin, has the tendancy to go.

Lovers of green tea will certainly like this. But I think that even if you are a committed black tea fan, I'm positive that after one cup you'll be totally addicted.

There is absolutely nothing nicer then curling up with a cup of good tea, and this is by far the best example of a white tea.

It's perfect as it is, no added flavours are needed. And, the quality and freshness is very apparent, too. I feel healthy drinking this tea, and really good after I've taken a cup or two.

White tea need not be a tea reserved only for tea connoisseurs. And, through the email's I receive through this blog, that tends to be the general concensus about white tea. But it's not a special tea, reserved for special tea drinkers. White tea should be out there enjoyed by everyone and I believe that Golden Tips has provided tea drinkers with the chance to enjoy something really rather special with their Thurbo Moonlight Darjeeling.

I have purchased several white tea's in the supermarket and they have, actually, all been really nice quality.

But, if you want to take white tea to the next level then Golden Tips is the way to go. Yes, it may be a little bit more expensive, but again, it's the best quality you can drink.

Thank you to Golden Tips for the samples, especially of this glorious white tea. I hugely appreciated being able to try something so mouthwateringly delicious.












No comments:

Post a Comment