Wednesday 22 January 2014

Cherry and Cinnamon: Pleasant Enough But ... It Lacks Something.

I am a fruit lover, as I said in a previous review, and I adore cherries. Be it nice, plump, juicy cherries from the supermarket, or, those plastic like cherries that are put on top of a cherry bakewell tart. I love the flavour of them, and nothing beats a bowl of fresh cherries that you can dip into whenever you want.

I was excited to purchase the cherry and cinnamon tea. And, I do honestly like it, but I find that it just doesn't quite deliver.

Anyway, here is the box for the blend. Twinings have recently overhauled the design of their fruit teas, and they have done a fab job. They are modern, bright, and clearly show you what sort of tea your buying. They are funky and full of colour. I really like the new designs.


The brewing time for this is up to four minutes. As I've said previously, I do like to keep the teabag in to get a fully rounded flavour. The tea, when fully brewed developes into a dark, crimson colour. It's really quite wonderful to look at.


There is nothing wrong with the cherry and cinnamon infusion. I loved the full bodied and sweet taste of the cherry. It's simply gorgeous. But I was disappointed in the fact that I could barely, if at all, taste the cinnamon. I didn't pick up an aroma of cinnamon during the brewing process, or indeed before. It just lacks that spiciness that I was expecting, and cinnamon and cherry go so well together (especially in a fruit pie!).

Perhaps, my taste buds just couldn't pick up the cinnamon, but know that cinnamon is not a subtle flavour. It should be out there, counteracting the sweetness of the cherries (and it is a sweet blend).

I would of preferred, perhaps, a morello cherry tea. Morello cherries have their own distinct flavour, and would make a pleasant tea.

A friend of mine has also suggested flavouring a black tea with cherry. That could work too, as some people don't get on with fruit infusions but would enjoy the fruit flavours added to a black tea.

Don't get me wrong, it makes a nice cup of tea. But just don't expect to find much taste of cinnamon, as for me, it's lacking.

Summary of Cherry And Cinnamon

- Available from Twinings online and most supermarkets. £1.29 for a box of twenty teabags.
- Brew for three to four minutes, though longer won't harm the brew.
- Don't add milk, and the cherry is sweet enough so sugar or sweeteners are not needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment