Wednesday 29 January 2014

Liquorice Offers Little Comfort For Me

It's extremely rare that I dislike a tea. I don't drink peppermint simply because it upsets my stomach. Lapsang Souchong is utterly undrinkable for me, as it resembles smoked kippers, which I'm not a fan of. But I like to think I try tea's with a open mind, and I like to try all the new blends and flavours.

It was with interest that I stumbled upon a box of Comforting Liquorice in Sainsburys today (priced at just £1.08 on special offer), and it was a blend that interested me, as I really liked the Silky Pyramid Liquorice Allsorts blend. I had struggled to source Comforting Liquorice, so was pleased when I found a box.


Once home, I decided to try it immediately. Straight away, I realised that this may not be the blend for me. The smell I got when opening the box was a strange earthy, grassy smell. But quite often with tea's, the smell on opening the box may not relate to the actual taste, so I didn't let this put me off.

As it brewed, the earthy aroma seemed to get stronger, and, it didn't remind me of liquorice at all. I know we are all accustomed to the coconut taste of Liquorice Allsorts, but I have tried natural liquorice, and it doesn't resemble this blend at all.

To match the aroma of earth and grass, the blend brewed to a light brown colour with a tinge of green to it.


I curled up on the sofa and took my first sip, and it didn't taste of much. Just a vague herbal taste that I couldn't quite place. There was a nice, pleasant burst of sweetness, which I really enjoyed. But, it was the taste before the sweetness that I just couldn't go on with, and after half a cup, I knew that this wasn't my type of tea. I was though, determined, to drink the whole cup to see if a) the taste would grow on me and b) to see if the taste changed at all. I was disappointed that neither happened, and despite my best intentions, I couldn't finish the cup.

This tea would suit those who enjoy herbal teas, which, in general I struggle with. If you expect a liquorice tea to taste like liquorice allsorts, then I'd say try the silky pyramid blend instead.

Although disappointed that I couldn't write a positive blog about Comforting Liquorice, I feel I cannot write what I don't believe. You have to be honest, even about things you don't like.

If anyone would like the rest of the box, then please feel free to leave a comment in the section below. Only one teabag has been used, so you'll be getting a nearly full box!

Summary of Comforting Liquorice

-Recommended brewing time is 2-3 minutes.
-No milk or sugars needed (it's very sweet!)
-Is available in boxes of 20, costing £1.49 (but currently available at some supermarkets on special offer, £1.08 a box).

No comments:

Post a Comment