Monday 4 August 2014

Teavivre: Bi Luo Chun Green Tea


This evening I am going to be reviewing another tea from the fabulous Teavivre, Bi Luo Chun green tea.

Teavivre is a wonderful tea company who approached me a few months back kindly offering to send me some samples. I've really enjoyed the tea's I've already tried, which include Lu Shan Yun Wu and Organic Superfine Dragon Well Long Jing. They are tasty and of an exceptionally high quality.

Bi Luo Chun Green Tea is a fairly small leaved tea. As you can see in the photograph below it has a curly shape to it. In this picture it's sat nicely cosy within the infuser.


I've made several cups of this tea and I will say for the offset you really NEED to leave the kettle to cool a little before you pour the water on the tea. I know I say this with virtually every green tea that I review, however, with some tea's you can get away with pouring boiling water if you're in a rush but with this tea you really do need to let the kettle cool. If you pour boiling water on this tea it really will go bitter. 

I boiled the water and let it cool for five or so minutes and let the tea brew for six minutes as stated on the packaging. I watched as it brewed and it developed into a really nice light amber colour. 

Bi Luo Chun Green tea is perhaps the tea that resembles most closely how I would picture traditional green tea (or, how I thought all green tea's would taste before I started to drink it!). 

Bi Luo Chun has a wonderful strong aroma which is very organic and has a slight tone of chocolate to it which is very interesting indeed.

Upon tasting I realised it's a basic green tea with the familiar grassy taste to it that one would expect with green tea. It has a rich flavour that has depth and I think the longer you brew this tea the richer and more tasty this tea will become. It's very refreshing and perfect for that moment when you start to unwind in the evening.

Green tea without added flavouring can be hard for some people to drink but I enjoy it hugely. It's an acquired taste and one almost has to learn to like it but once you get past that hurdle there is a very exciting world out there.

I thoroughly enjoy the flavoured green tea's. Jasmine Pearls being my favourite but sometimes it's nice to get back to basics and enjoy the tea in it's purest form. However, just to experience the simple taste of a very high quality tea is a luxury that I treasure. 

When buying green tea in it's pure form you have to buy as best quality as you can afford. This may sound snobby, however, there is nothing worse then drinking a poor quality green tea. I would much rather have a little less of something nice then a poor quality tea in huge amounts.

I really appreciated trying Bi Luo Chun Green tea. It's tasty, of a high quality and very moreish. 

If you pop over to Teavivre's website this evening, they have a sale (which sadly ends on August 5th) to celebrate Teavivre's 3rd birthday. They have up to 40% off selected teas so why not go and have a look and treat yourself to something tasty!



No comments:

Post a Comment