Tuesday 12 August 2014

Wise Owl Tea: Corsican Olive Leaf


(Photo taken from Wise Owl Tea).

Earlier this evening I wrote on this blog about Wise Owl's achievement of gaining three Great Taste awards for their tea. It's even more extraordinary because Wise Owl is only about a year old. In that short time they have established themselves and gained awards. A fantastic reflection of their ability as a company.

Wise Owl and myself came into contact when I rather cheekily asked them if they had any samples, and indeed they kindly sent me some out. So, I was really thrilled when last week they sent me out a sample of their Corsican Olive Leaf tea. I have had my eye on this tea for some time, as it's name appeals to me!

Corsican Olive contains:

  • Olive Leaf
  • Apple
  • Pineapple
The tea comes in silky pyramids which I always love because they feel so silky and marvelous to hold. There is a substantial amount of tea in each pyramid. The pieces of apple and pineapple are readily visible and within the colour of the fruit, there is a dark, lush greeness which I assume comes from the olive leaf.

Corsican Olive is a nice tea that is easy to brew. You can use boiling water (some choose not to but I feel that in no way is the tea affected!) and leave the tea to brew for up to five minutes. As this is a nice fruity type tea then five  minutes is perfect. I have brewed it for less but it doesn't really represent the flavour, so five minutes is exactly right.

The tea brews to a wonderful dark amber colour which is really appealing, and the aroma the tea gives off during it's infusion time is something really special. It's lush and fruity, but with a slightly herbal tone to it too. It smelt absolutely yummy.

What I really like about Wise Owl tea is that their teas taste really different. Flavour wise, they are a little bit "out there" but not so that they are hard to drink and enjoy. They are exciting and inventinve with their flavours, but still remain appealing enough to thoroughly enjoy.

Their tea's also vary too. For instance their Bali Bamboo is subtly sublime, rich and silky, whereas their Antiguan Cinnamon Spice is spicy and inviting.

Corsican Olive tea is subtle and delicious. The pineapple and apple flavours add a nice fruity depth to the tea and taste absolutely natural unlike some brands which use flavouring as opposed to natural pieces.

Underneath the fruity flavours, there is a slightly grassy flavour which rather reminds me of green tea. I've never tried an olive leaf tea before so I can only assume that the herbal taste comes from the olive leaf.

The flavours are blended really well, it's an even tea which compliment one another as opposed to the flavours trying to jostle for position.

Texture wise, it's a smooth, mellow tea. Totally gorgeous to drink, and already, the kettle is boiling for cup number two! (What you will find with Wise Owl tea is once you have finished one cup, you're desperate for another).

There are said to be many health benefits to drinking olive leaf, too, so not only is it tasty but it's good for you, too!

I would give this a 5/5. It's a really rather fantastic tea and something quite unique. 



No comments:

Post a Comment