Saturday 21 February 2015

Bluebird Tea: Earl's Paradise


I will admit that this is a rather belated tea review. I had purchased Bluebird Tea Co. Earl's Paradise a few day's before Christmas when I received an email saying if I were to order that day they could guarantee delivery before the big day. Deciding that I'd like some new tea's to enjoy over the Christmas period I purchased Earl's Paradise along with the fun and fruity Strawberry Lemonade and the sharp and snazzy Lemon Sherbert Green Tea.

My tea cupboard in the kitchen is something akin to the wardrobe in the Narnia novels. It's larger then it looks on the outside and once you step in you can go on several different and amazing adventures. But, things can get lost so I had quite forgotten about this till I found it in the back of the cupboard and decided to use up what was left in the packet.

Earl's Paradise is a trendy take on the Earl Grey. Along with the traditional bergamot flavouring you also have lime, jasmine, strawberry and papaya. It's base tea is a black Ceylon.

So, I filled up the tea maker basket and brewed it for the recommended four minutes.


There is absolutely no denying that this is a busy tea. There are a lot of things going on from the papaya and strawberry to the lime and bergamot. It's bursting full with flavours but is that such a good thing?

As I explained yesterday when I reviewed Twining's Plummy Earl Grey I love Earl Grey but I'm not such a traditionalist that I dislike the various spin's on the classic tea. I love trying any Earl Grey blends so I suppose this is why I was drawn to this tea when browsing Bluebird's site in the run up to Christmas.

The tea is a gorgeous tea to look at. It's dark colour is complimented by a burst of red strawberry pieces and tan coloured papaya chunks.

Earl's Paradise also smells devine.

Upon tasting the tea I was somewhat thrown back by the general hub bub of the tea. The various flavour's all tend to dance around in my mouth at once and at times it's hard to pinpoint each of the flavours.

However, this is a nice tea. If you use the exact amount advised on the package and brew it for no longer then four minutes (longer and this tea has the capacity to go bitter and astringent) you will have a tasty and enjoyable cup of tea.

The tea brews to a lovely golden colour.

The flavour I picked up mostly was the strawberry. It's very prominent and holds it's own against the myriad of different flavours that are enclosed in this tea. I was disappointed that I couldn't pick up the papaya though - I feel that would of been a lovely twist to have tasted. However, what one person can pick up another person won't identify, so you possibly will experience a totally different cup of tea, taste wise, to that which I have experienced.

Lime, which is also featured in the tea, gives the tea a gentle kick as a afterbite. It took me ages to work out what it was, then noticing on the website that it included lime soon realised what the zingy element was.

I was left in two minds when it came to Earl's Paradise. I liked it a lot, it was pleasant, fruity and is completely different to the citrus tones that Earl Grey is famous for. However, I also feel that there is a slight overkill in the ingredients. I would of loved to have had the simple Earl Grey with just the strawberry and papaya added so that I could truly experience those fruits. The addition of the lime and jasmine was perhaps a little bit too much.

This tea is perfect for the Earl Grey lovers out there who also enjoy fruit based tea's.

It's a light and refreshing tea and perfect for summer days. It would be brilliant to serve up with salad's and light meal's. The aroma is also extremely inviting.

I think Bluebird have done really well giving their customers their own take on Earl Grey.  It's certainly a exciting and interesting blend.

So, do I like it? Yes, I do. But I do think it could do with trimming back on one or two of the additional flavours so that the papaya and strawberry can really shine.

What I think is interesting and why Bluebird is appealing to so many people that I know is that they are willing to be adventurous and exciting with their flavour combinations. You can certainly say their blends are far from boring.

I'm also glad to have had the chance to try this tea. It certainly one that will leave an impression!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Laura ... I was sent some of this in a Christmas hamper from a friend I have who lives in Sussex. I agree that it's a busy tea but there is something I really love about this blend and have since ordered myself a couple of packets. It cheers up the standard Earl Grey. I have to admit as much as you are a Northern Tea lover, I feel the same about Bluebird. Wished they had stores over here in Canada - Juliette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked it, Juliette!

    It certainly is a modern, funky twist.

    I think a lot of people in the UK would like to have Bluebird stores closer to them also!

    Love
    Laura.

    ReplyDelete