Saturday 14 February 2015

The Essential Items Any Tea Lover Must Own


Yesterday, I was out and about and overheard a young girl on her phone. She had just discovered she was pregnant and was happily chatting away about a kit she had been given that contained all the essential item's she'd need when the baby arrived.

That got me to thinking about what items the average tea lover should have at their disposal to make their tea drinking experience as perfect as it could possibly be.

Available on the internet are loads of items that you can buy. From infusers to tea sets. The list is endless. But what are the basic things that we all need?

1. A Kettle

Obvious, I know. However, it does go a little deeper then just having a kettle that boils your water.

With the huge amount of tea out there now, black, green, white, red, yellow, oolong, herbal, puer and fruit it is easy just to boil the kettle and pour hot water on the leaves.

However, we all should know by now that you simply can't pour boiling water on green or white tea. And oolong doesn't fair too well either. Unlike the robust black tea, green tea's for example, often go extremely bitter when boiling water is used as it scorches the leaves leading to a flat, bitter taste.

There are some fabulous kettles out there that have options that you can set so the kettle boils the water to the perfect temperature that you need for the particular tea that you are drinking.

Of course, at the more expensive end of the market you also have the Sage Tea Maker which pretty much does everything you need at the touch of a button. It really is worth investing in either a kettle or tea maker. It takes the guessing out of the brewing process.

2. Tea Infusers


Tea infusers have been my personal godsend. I have my trusty Floatea (the red one) and a fun, funky Yellow Submarine one which was a much welcomed Christmas gift.

Infusers allow you to enjoy loose tea without all the hassle that comes with making it in a pot. Granted, some pots now do come with infusers built in but many still don't and do you really want the hassle of having to empty out all the loose tea leaves from your pot? It's a time consuming and rather boring job so let these little infusers take all the strain.

Tea infusers vary in price. A simple ball on a chain type can be purchased from Amazon from as little as 10p (obviously not including postage) or as much as £11. You can get all manner of designs.

Although loose tea is available in "tea temples", "pyramids" or "silky triangles" these can work out expensive so why not shop online for some fabulous blends at reasonable prices and treat yourself to a funky, fun infuser.

3. Teaspoon. 


I brought this lovely little teaspoon from Bluebird  when I purchased a selection of tea last year. To get a perfect brew you need to use the perfect amount of tea and I really love this little beauty. Perhaps not the most essential item but it's just nice to have!


4. Caddies


Whether you use loose tea or teabags it's essential to keep your tea as fresh as possible so you get the maximum enjoyment out of your tea.

I find tin tea caddies the best way. They come in a variety of different sizes, shapes and designs and are just a pretty way to store you're tea. They also are airtight which prevents your tea from going stale. Just remember if using loose tea don't leave the tea spoon in the tea as it will tarnish the taste after a while.

Some tea sellers also give you the option of purchasing the tea in caddies rather then packets so always check out the pricing and purchasing options when ordering online.  A caddy can cost only a few pounds extra so why not treat yourself occasionally and keep your tea super fresh!

5. Travel Mug


Travel cups are essential pieces of kit! Whether you are going on a long journey and want to ensure you have a decent cup of tea or if your workplace doesn't stock the tea you like and you can't bear what they have in the staff room then a travel mug will help you.

I treated myself to a Bodum when visiting Twinings, who had them on sale, and I honestly wouldn't be without it. My travel mug has been to my WeightWatchers classes, on the National Express and I'll be taking it on a couple of train trips I've planned this year.

Bodum's keep your tea hot for ages and are easy to wash up and keep clean. There are, of course, other brands available in all manner of funky patterns and colours. I would honestly be lost without mine.

6. Everyday Essentials


I always keep a stock of everyday essentials in my cupboard for several reason's.

For instance sometimes I may be going out and just need a quick cup before I leave, sometimes we may have visitors who are not so keen on my more fancier tea's and want something a little more "normal".

Whatever your everyday essential is, be it Twinigns, Tetley, Yorkshire Tea or Typhoo, it's always handy to keep some in.

7. Comfy Cup.


I have four or five mugs that I usually rotate. But I have to say my "comfy cup" is my Halloween mug. In times of stress, upset or worry I turn to it as it's a bit comforting and reassuring and familiar. I also like spooky things this is perfect for me.

I think most of us have a favourite mug or cup that we always go back to in the end!

8. Last But Not Least ... Good Quality Tea.

I have two go to companies for my tea. 


Northern Tea Merchants are my favourite's for black tea.


Kensington Tea Company is perfect for green tea.

In my opinion, of course, it's essential to purchase the best quality tea you can afford. Whether your "thing" is black tea, green tea, white tea, herbal tea or fruit tea, you deserve to have the best tea.

But high quality tea doesn't have to be expensive. Take Northern Tea Merchants for example. They sell some of the freshest, best quality black tea going and yet, you can get some of their wonderful blends for as little as £1.70 for 50g's. I have not tasted anything as divine as their Keemun and Yunnan blends.

Likewise with Kensington Tea Company their Christmas Spice blend is thoroughly a wonderful treat but affordable, too.

So, here are a few tips for the essential items that can help your tea drinking life be as perfect as it can possibly be!




No comments:

Post a Comment