Tuesday 10 February 2015

White Two Tea: Orchid Dancong Oolong


Sometimes in life, it's really funny how things pan out. Only the day before yesterday I was musing about the blog and tea in general, and I realised that I haven't had the chance to review a oolong tea. And, in fact, haven't been able to try out the oolong option on my Sage Tea Maker.

Then, low and behold, today I received a parcel of samples from China which were kindly sent to me from a tea company called White Two Tea which included amongst other delicious sounding tea's a wonderful oolong called Orchid Dancong.

I have to admit I've virtually no experience of oolong tea so you may just have to bear with me here!

I love the look of Orchid Dancong tea. It's utterly gorgeous. The leaves are very long and are a lovely dark colour. The aroma of the tea, as I opened the packet, is really lovely and earthy.

I popped two rather large teaspoons into the infuser. I boiled the water and let it cool for a short while and left the tea to infuse for a just over a couple of minutes.

As soon as I took my first sip I knew this was a tea that would appeal to me. I love tea's that smell and taste earthy, natural and pure. As you all know I love scented tea's such as Earl and Lady Grey,  but sometimes it's good to get back to basic's (for want of a better term) and really experience a tea in it's purest form.

Orchid Dancong oolong is just stunning. It has a very delicate and mellow flavour and is perfect for relaxing with at the end of the day. It's a tea that reminds me of a perfectly made fairy cake - light and refreshing and incredibly moreish.

The tea is smooth and has a very delicate roasted element to it. I served this tea with a slice of gluten free tea cake and it worked really well. The heaviness and the fruitiness of the cake seemed, (oddly because on paper they don't sit well) to compliment the lightness of the tea. A perfect afternoon tea!

There is also a lovely sweet after taste with this tea which is just so pleasant. I really enjoyed the tea and have several cups of it this afternoon already.

This is my first real experience with oolong and I can now understand why so many people rave about it on places such as Twitter. It's a gorgeous tea and was left feeling happy and relaxed after having a cup of this tea.

I would highly recommend this tea, it's absolutely fabulous, and while you're there, why not treat yourself to the tea in a lovely caddy, too!

I love hearing from tea companies so thanks to Paul from White Two Tea for sending me the samples. I can't wait to try the rest of the tea in the package!

No comments:

Post a Comment