Friday 8 May 2015

Fortnum & Mason: Christening Tea


It is perhaps a slight understatement to say it's been quite a week for the United Kingdom. Yesterday we had the General Election, today we are remembering VE Day, with the celebrations lasting the whole weekend.

But for me, the highlight, was the birth of a new Royal Princess. Last Saturday the Duchess of Cambridge gave birth to her second child, Charlotte Elizabeth Diana. So, I thought it quite timely that I review Fortnum & Mason's wonderful Christening Blend tea.

This Christening Tea was blended to commemorate the christening of Charlotte's older brother, Prince George in October 2013.

(Prince George's Christening, 2013. Photograph sourced from Google).

Readers may recall that I recently had a wonderful day out with my close friend, Kirsty, and we visited Fortnum and Mason in Piccadilly. I had already chosen to try this tea, because, I realised it was going to be just my sort of thing - a twist on, yes, Earl Grey!

I did have the option to buy this tea in either loose form or as teabags but opted for the loose as I just love the caddy the tea came in. And priced at just under £10, thought it was a reasonable price for a souvenir tea.

The tea is very pretty to look out. As you can see the Darjeeling tea, which is the base tea, is very dark but has hints of colour added. The splashes of yellow and blue make a attractive tea.


I couldn't wait to try this tea and on the whole it's mainly what I've been drinking recently. I have had stomach flu and drunk very little tea but I'm now getting back into my stride and have several pots of this tea over the last couple of days.

Christening Tea is extremely aromatic and it's also a strongly flavoured tea, so when making this in the teapot, there was no need for the extra spoon for the pot. For three cup's of tea I found three level scoops were enough. It's a tea that packs a punch!

The tea brews to a lovely copper tone and fills the kitchen with a lovely, fresh, lemony scent.

This is a wonderful tea, especially for those who love flavoured tea's, in particular Earl Grey.

Firstly, the Darjeeling tea is of a extremely good quality and is indeed very strong. The tea has slight coffee like tones to it, providing you with a tea that is ultimately refreshing and robust. This isn't a blend for those who like their tea delicate!

The added bergamot in the tea was crisp and tangy. It was also slightly sharp which I really enjoyed as it refreshed my palate whilst at the same time having that familiar aspect, too. I loved the fresh, lemon flavour, and it's almost as though the lemon's had been squeezed freshly that day and added to the tea. The glorious citrus flavour was just out of this world and Fortnum and Mason can really produce a fabulous tea.

It is a well balanced tea, completely natural in flavour and thank goodness lacks the perfume like element that some Earl Grey (and similar blends) have.  It's also incredibly fresh tea and feels as though it's just been blended this morning.

I recently reviewed Countess Grey, which Kirsty treated me to from Fortnum & Mason. I have to say given the option, and this is purely down to personal taste, I much preferred Countess Grey, however, that does not mean this is a bad blend, rather it's what suits my personal taste more closely. However, I certainly did not suffer whilst drinking this wonderful Christening Blend. It's perfect for those summer mornings when you want a refreshing first cup of the day and it's lovely to enjoy after supper, too. A good allrounder, I feel.

For all of those Earl Grey lovers, this is just a wonderful cup of tea. However, this isn't for beginners as it should be taken unsweetened and without milk. I think those who are used to taking black tea would find this most enjoyable. I certainly did!


No comments:

Post a Comment