Thursday 30 March 2017

Basilur Tea: Earl Grey


If you cut me, I bleed Earl Grey. My love for Earl Grey is as stark and simple as that. So the day I first tired Earl Grey when I was stood in the kitchen too scared to try it, seems a long distant memory. Earl Grey is now as much as part of me as my blue eyes or my brown hair, or that half smile I give that hides a mulitude of feelings.

You, the reader, may think, 'oh my god not another Earl Grey review'. I honestly wouldn't blame you if you did, there are so many. But this little gem of a tea, from Basilur Tea, which arrived in a box of samples a couple of weeks ago, has been starring, seductively, at me through the glass of my tea jar. Each day, it's called to me 'try me, Laura. You know you want to'.

So far, I have resisted. But, I will admit the last week has been slightly fraught. Things are more settled now, but as Father Merrin says in The Exorcist, on being asked if he wants brandy in his coffee 'I really shouldn't, but thank god my will is weak'.

Indeed, the will gave way totally and just a few minutes ago, I found myself gently tearing open the sample sachet. And that gorgeous aroma of bergamot, the mouthwatering, soul soothing smell, the comforting  friend. The hug in a mug. The Earl Grey, suddenly appeared.

'Ooh, that's lovely' was my initial response. And that was before water was added!

As you will have read from previous reviews, Basilur Tea use a gorgeous Ceylon Black Tea as their base tea, and that is no different with this Earl Grey blend which comes from the companies Speciality Classics range.

The Ceylon tea, as always, is perfectly smooth and delicate. It's utterly, utterly gorgeous. I do have a sample of their pure, unflavoured Ceylon tea, which I will review at a later date, and which I expect to be delightful. But with this Ceylon tea, there is a element of it that is almost addictive, cripplingly moreish, and once you have taken your first sip, you are desperate for more, which in this case, is hard as I mainly have sample sizes, which are single servings.

I have never known a tea to be so delicate, so dainty, so feminine almost, and yet, provides you with such a satisfying cup of tea. That, I believe, is where my love for Ceylon lies. It tends to cover all bases, which is good. With Basilur's tea's there are no impurities. It is as close to perfection as I've found so far in Ceylon tea.

I also believe that Earl Grey, despite being one of the worlds most popular blends, is so hard to get right. Believe me, after three years of writing this blog I have crossed the whole spectrum of Earl Grey's. I've enjoyed dainty ones, I've enjoyed strong, robust ones. I've endured bitter and artificial ones, I've been made nauseous by cheap blends. I've been left feeling as though I've just drunk a cup of perfume, I've had heavenly tea's - I'll be honest, I've experienced them all! And many a time I've been left surprised by so many tea companies. Expensive blends have been undrinkable, cheaper, shop brought ones, have provided a fabulous cup of tea.

Drinking Earl Grey is rather like playing roulette. You really are not sure what colour the ball will land on, and price, reputation of the tea company and even the packaging, are no indication of the quality you'll get. Some companies get Earl Grey spot on, some get it so very wrong.

So when I infused this tea bag I had my thoughts about what I may get when I made the tea, but there is no certainty. However, I was not disappointed.

For this Earl Grey is one of the best Ive tasted in a long, long while. Now, there are huge differences with this tea. On the website description of this tea, it says that it has Earl Grey essence, and I honestly couldn't sum that up any better.

The Earl Grey element to the tea is light, subtle and delicate. It's rather reminiscent of Twinings Delicate Earl Grey which came out several year's ago.

The flavouring is so light and airy, it's gorgeous. I love the delicate element of this tea. The delicate Ceylon tea and the delicate essence of Earl Grey are just so beautiful. I love the fact this Earl Grey is subtle, it does make a change from the stronger, out there elements that other blends have.

There is also a natural feel to the tea. As I have said before, some Earl Grey's are so strong they taste like perfume which is hugely unpleasant. Here, with this tea, you can sink back in your chair (or in my case bed, which is where I'm writing this review from), savour the lovely flavour and just enjoy a tea that has such fine qualities.

After a hectic day such as today was, this is ideal to unwind with. But it's also a tea that deserves to be savoured, sip by sip. It's far too elegant to be glugged back in five minutes. That would do this tea a huge injustice.

As with the rest of Basilur's tea's, this is refinement at it's very best. This is Earl Grey at it's very best. And to be quite frank, if someone were to say this is the only Earl Grey you'll ever be able to drink again, I'd be more than happy.

This is about as close to the perfect Earl Grey that I've ever gotten. And I didn't want the cup to end. I wished it was bottomless. Sadly it was not.

I have reviewed a lot of Basilur's tea's in very rapid succession. And there is good reason for this. It's just damn good tea. There is no other way of putting it.  And it's Earl Grey, the top blend for me, is where I hold it's standard, and it's hit an exceptionally high standard.

After trying this blend, I'm rather worried that any other that follows it will be somewhat lacking.

I will admit I hadn't heard of Basilur tea till I was contacted by Robert. How I have missed this company I do not know. But I'm truly glad I know of them now.

As someone who bleeds Earl Grey. Who has it pumping through her veins, I can sit here, happy and satisfied this evening. For I may of just tried the ultimate blend. And that surely, can only bring contentment, can't it?













No comments:

Post a Comment