Friday 17 March 2017

Basilur Tea: White Magic


It's fair to say that this blog relies on the kindness of people, both those I know and strangers. Family and friends (and even my boss!) know of my love for tea, and at some point or another, everyone close to me hands me a new tea, simply because I love it! My boss, who recently holidayed in New York, came back with a packet of fruit tea. It's nice that people think of me like that.

But it's also the kindness of strangers that makes the blog what it is. Tea companies generously send me samples to review. So it's always heartwarming - and encouraging - when a message pop's into one inbox or another asking me if I'd like to sample some products.

Earlier this week, I received a message from a lovely gentleman called Robert from Basilur Tea asking me if I'd like some samples to feature here on Laura's Tea Room. Naturally, I said yes! Tuesday afternoon I spent some considerable amount of time browsing the website and I can honestly say I don't think I've come across a range of tea so beautifully packaged.  Some of the packing is so sweetly dreamlike, others could come straight out of Alice In Wonderland. And some of their tea tins are so beautiful, I could honestly buy it all. (Fall in love now, find a place to store it all later!) In the days of moderately packaged tea, with sleek branding, it's nice to see such beautiful products.

Whilst sorting through the samples I received this morning, I was struck by a green tea called White Magic. I know you shouldn't judge a tea solely by it's packaging, however, the single envelope was so pretty that I couldn't resist trying the White Magic tea first.

White Magic is actually a Milky Oolong green tea - a type of tea I can say I've not actually experienced before, making this all the more interesting, and for me on a personal level, extremely exciting.

The tea comes in teabag form and it's filled generously with a good amount of tea.


I followed the instructions on the sachet and boiled the water to 80 and infused the tea for three minutes (oven timer on to make sure it was brewed perfectly). Whilst this was brewing I could smell this lovely, sweet aroma. I had just polished off a bowl of home made rice pudding and thought it was coming from that. How wrong was I ...

I don't think any sort of preparation would of prepared me for the uniqueness of this tea. I don't think I've drunk a tea like it, and I don't actually think I've fallen in love so quickly with a tea like I have with White Magic.

This is a tea of two halves. Strong, and yet delicate. Slightly tart, yet mouthwateringly creamy.

The base tea of this blend is a strong, green tea.  The green tea has that ever so slightly astringent, strong flavour that I adore in green tea. It's quite sturdy and very, very satisfying. I always keep green tea very close to my heart, it's my tea of choice and I find it a nice change from black tea, so I found this tea delightful from the very start.

Alongside the tart flavour of the green tea comes this wonderful, creamy, milky flavouring that is added to the tea and is, in simple words, utterly beautiful. It's sweetness is extremely moreish, and once you've taken your first sip, you just want more of it. When I finally finished my cup of tea, I was slightly disappointed. It had all gone! Oh no ...

This tea takes your tongue on a really lovely journey. Your taste buds dart from the sharp, tart green to the lovely, soft and creamy milky flavour. It's like two tea's in one cup. And each flavour compliments the other. I find vanilla flavoured tea's quite sickly, but the creaminess in this tea is well balanced with the sharpness of the green tea, making it the perfect partnership.

I was so impressed with this unique, truly one of a kind tea. Never have I tasted a tea like it and I don't think I will again for quite some time.

I am, honestly, stuck for words to describe this tea. Beautiful, stunning, gorgeous .. perhaps are the first few that spring to my mind.

One of my favourite bands are a band from the 1960's, called The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band. One of their most famous hits is a song called 'I'm The Urban Spaceman'. One of the lines in the song goes like this .. "my natural enthusiasm spills out all over the place .." Maybe that's the best way to describe how I feel about this tea.  Or, like an over excited puppy could be another, less elegant way!

Either way, you HAVE to try this tea. If you like tea's that are different, or even if you are a traditionalist who wants to try something new, I can't recommend this tea enough. Once tasted this tea will stay with you. And I can guarantee that one cup simply won't be enough.

And if you do have a few spare minutes, don't forget to browse the Basilur website. You're eyes will certainly be in for several beautiful treats!


No comments:

Post a Comment