Friday 26 May 2017

Adagio Teas: Blueberry White


Readers from abroad may not know that currently the UK is in the midst of a mini heatwave. The temperatures are high, the sun is out and now is the perfect time to enjoy a wonderful, fruity tea.

When the temperatures are high I tend to enjoy lighter tea's such as green tea, so this white tea is just perfect for a very warm evening.

Tonight's tea is Blueberry White from Adagio Teas 

I absolutely love white tea. I will admit that I don't drink too much of it, solely because it's quite hard to prepare correctly. But when I do prepare it I absolutely love it.

For beginners to white tea here's a quick run down. White tea has a more delicate flavour then black tea. Actually, it's even more dainty then green tea. But it does have a lovely, slightly sweet flavour. However, it's one of the more fiddly tea's to prepare. The water cannot be anywhere near boiling point - 85 is about the right mark. And when infusing do it for no longer then a couple of minutes, otherwise the tea can go bitter. And you absolutely do need to stick to these rules to make a perfect cup of tea. White tea has a tendancy to go from heavenly to a bitter mess in a matter of mere seconds, so do keep your eye on it whilst infusing.

So, back to Blueberry White tea ...

Adagio very kindly sent me some samples and have included the Blueberry White within the samples. It came in loose form so I made up my own teabags using this lovely tea.


I filled the teabag to the brim with this lovely tea (isn't it so pretty!) and infused for a couple of minutes.


The tea infused to a light green colour and remained semi translucent.

As I settled back and took a sip I was pleasantly surprised with this tea. I've not tasted such a flavoursome white tea in my entire tea drinking life.

Firstly, there is a lovely grassy element to the blend. It's flavoursome, but retains it's delicateness at the same time. White tea does have that earthy, natural flavour just like green tea, but at the same time it's tinged with a light, sweet honey element too making this a much softer tea to drink and a good alternative to black and green tea.

It's a very smooth white tea.

The addition of the blueberry brings to the tea a soft sweetness. I love this fruit. This is the first time I've tried blueberry in white tea. White tea does take to fruit flavours quite well, but only a limited type. White tea pairs well with peach, cranberry and pomegranate. It does not take to harsh flavours like lemon very well. I was a little hesitant about the blueberry as sometimes it can be quite sharp in tea, however, the rich sweetness is really very nice and I'm glad to say its a perfect partnership.

I personally find that during the hotter months black tea can lay a little heavy on my stomach, especially later on in the day, so this white tea makes for a perfect blend to enjoy all day, but, in particular in the evenings. It's extrenely low in caffeine so makes for an ideal tea to take before bed.

I really am very impressed with this tea. I love how the white tea retains it's delicate qualities, whilst at the same time embracing the blueberry flavour. It works extremely well.

An ideal tea for the white tea newbie or the most experienced of white tea drinkers. It's just really lovely and tasty. Apparantly, this makes a great iced tea, though I've not tried it so maybe that will be something to experiment with throughout the summer months.

I really loved this tea. I've just taken my last sip from the cup and the tea has cooled quite a lot. The gorgeous flavour of blueberry is now rich and very present and what a wonderful way to end this cup, for the flavour of blueberry will stay with me for quite some time.

2 comments:

  1. I don't drink many flavored teas these days but this one is a favorite that I usually stock up on each summer. I actually like to make a white wine sangria with it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a smashing blend isn't it? And I love the blueberry twist on it, a step away from the traditional peachy flavours that are added to tea. And good job on the sangria!

      Delete