Wednesday 10 May 2017

Mais Ervas: Peppermint Tea


There is one type of tea that is conspicuous by it's absence here on Laura's Tea Room. That tea is peppermint tea.

For many, many years I have loathed peppermint tea. In reality though, the only peppermint tea I've ever really had is one of those cheap supermarket own brands, you know the type, you get 20 bags for 70p (this was round about 2006ish, so I expect prices have gone up a bit!).

The peppermint tea put me off for life. It had a sickly sweet taste to it, it really just reminded me of a Trebor Extra Strong Mint. A Trebor Extra Strong Mint that had been thrown into a cup and had hot water poured over it. I'm not actually convinced actual peppermint was even included in the blend, it was probably just peppermint oil or something equally horrid.

But this really does prove my point that if you buy bad tea and have a bad experience, or even if you buy good tea and prepare it incorrectly, it can put you off for life.

In April's fabulous teatourist box this peppermint tea was included. It's from a company called Mais Ervas.

This evening I thought the time was right to give peppermint tea another whirl. There was, I thought, nothing to loose.

The first impressions of this tea were very positive. Instead of having that sweet, sugary smell I remembered so much and hated from the tea I had tried, this smelt like natural, healthy garden mint. Just very yummy indeed.


The peppermint tea is a large leaved tea with a gorgeous green colour - all very lush and mouthwatering. I was actually looking forward to trying this tea.

I infused the tea for well over five minutes to get a stronger flavour. It steeped to a light green colour.


So, I settled down and took a sip - and I was actually pleasantly surprised. There was none of that sugary, sickly sweet element that I thought this tea - or any peppermint tea for that matter - would have.

Instead this has a vibrant, fresh taste. It's crisp and keen and very refreshing indeed. The minty flavour just makes your tastebuds burst into life and they dance away with every sip. Your tongue tingles with the freshness of the tea and it really make your mouth feel refreshed. And I felt incredibly relaxed whilst drinking this tea.

This is perfect also to aid digestion and I did have a bit of a rumbly tummy and it has honestly really settled it down. I'm quite impressed and I would never of believed that I would actually like a peppermint tea.

I'm not sure if peppermint tea will ever really enter into my daily tea drinking regime. It's a bit like ginger tea, I think I'll indulge when I fancy a cup. And I doubt that I'll fancy one every day. But I'm so glad that I've tried this tea - it's put some tea drinking demon's to rest!

I'll never buy peppermint tea from a supermarket. I know I don't like those branded tea's. But when you get peppermint tea as fresh and healthy as this then I'll certainly purchase some more.

I never thought I'd give mint tea a thumbs up but I have! And I'm off to make a second cup!



No comments:

Post a Comment