Tuesday 27 March 2018

Loose Tea: Enjoying Tea In It's Perfect Form



If you're reading this then there is a huge chance that you are a tea lover. Like me, you probably enjoy the luxury of a good tea. But alongside the actual taste of the blend that you chose, there is something lovely about the ritual of making tea. Warming the pot, adding the tea, infusing and pouring. And believe me, there is no nicer way of drinking tea.

Drinking loose tea as opposed to that which comes already bagged is honestly such a wonderful thing. It is a luxurious way to spend time, indulgent and is a huge treat. And now, with various gadgets, it's never been easier to enjoy tea both at home and on the go.

What makes loose tea so special is how you prepare it as well as which tea you actually choose. If you get these elements right you will be able to enjoy tea in it's loveliest form, how nature intended it. So, here is a little run down of gadgets and tips that you may find useful for making loose tea perfectly.

If you are new to the joy of loose leaf tea I sincerely hope you find this useful. Loose tea can often be daunting and off putting, but it need not be! I'm sure you'll soon be up and running and enjoying tea in it's purest and most perfect form.


1. A Proper Teaspoon.


Never underestimate the usefulness of a properly sized teaspoon.  I received this from my best friend a few Christmases ago and which she had engraved. I use this every day and it is the perfect size to make a perfect cup of tea. When making tea in the pot I use one per cup and one for the pot. When using the Flo-tea infuser I use one and when I use empty teabags I use one and a half.

2. Infusers and Teabags


For many years I have owned a Flo-tea infuser. I think I must of been through three of these! They are sturdy, of good quality and the main part of the infuser is made from stainless steel, which is easy to use, easy to clean and doesn't rust. It also comes in this handy stand so you can rest it there without making any mess on your counter top. This little device is especially clever if you are preparing tea that can be infused more then once - a tidy way to keep the tea as you re-use it. They are great little inventions and come in a variety of colours.

In addition to the Flo-tea I also keep well stocked a empty caddy that is full, oddly enough, of empty teabags that I purchase on eBay. These handy little inventions means I can fill them with loose tea when I go out an have decent tea anywhere I go. I also use them to take to work, especially in the colder months, and it means if I wake up one day and fancy Earl Grey I can have it. Another day I may fancy a green tea. It's a really cheap way of enjoying your loose tea. So there is absolutely no reason to ever have to drink rubbish tea - there are many options you can use to have decent tea on the go!

3. Bone China Is Best

For many years both my parents and grandparents would tell me that drinking tea from a bone china cup was the best way to drink your tea. They told me it kept the tea hot for longer, it tasted nicer, it was just the best way to drink your tea. And for years I wouldn't believe them - but it's actually true. I recently visited my best friend in Cheshire and we spent a day walking around a antiques centre. I found a lovely cup and saucer for not even £4 and it feels so lovely to drink tea from it. I am aware that rather then glug the tea down, I sip it and because of that, really savour it's flavour.

There are some gorgeous cups and saucers available now but I love to go vintage - the older it is the better chance it is bone china.  And the patterns available in places like antique centres and shops are so cute that you'll be hard pressed to decide which pattern you want.

Even if you save the cup and saucer for your day of relaxation - it's always lovely to have one in the cupboard!

4. Follow The Infusion Rules Closely

Whether you are making your loose tea in the pot, or in a teabag or infuser, do follow the infusion instructions closely - and then, if they are not right for you, you can alter them when making your second pot or cup.

Instructions are there for a reason and it's really wise to follow them. Take particular care if you are using a highly scented loose tea, such as Earl Grey or Lavender because these do have a tendency to go bitter if over brewed.

And always use a timer, whether it's a tea timer or the timer on your oven or phone. Accuracy is best to make a perfect cup of tea!

5. Pick Your Tea Carefully

Always buy the best loose tea that you can afford. Unlike bagged tea which is uniformed, loose tea can vary in taste if you don't follow the instructions closely and some of the cheaper, branded loose tea's can vary from pot to pot. When using loose tea, and I have discovered this to my own personal cost, having a bit less of something better is always the better option.

There are so many great loose tea companies on the internet. They do a marvellous selection of loose tea of high quality, with interesting flavours and even textures. So do shop around and experiment. Many companies who sell loose tea even sell the tea in sample packs so you don't have to buy a lot only to realise you don't actually like it!

I find Whittard sell exceptional tea's. Their orange pekoe is out of this world and they have plenty of stores around the country for you to pop in. My own, personal favourite, is CHASH - The Fine Tea Company who produce gorgeous loose tea's, many traditional blends as well as fresh blends for the modern tea drinker. These are tea providers who never let me down!

Of course, there is nothing wrong with the loose tea's that you can purchase at the supermarket. Many of the higher end ranges are quite good, but do shop around. Why settle for quite good when there is excellence available! The internet is a brilliant place and tea bloggers are brilliant in pointing you in the right direction!

It doesn't matter if your preference is black tea or green tea. Great tea can be enjoyed in loose form as much as black tea. Just keep an eye on the brewing instructions and you'll have a fab cup of tea!

And finally ..... Experiment!

I know that loose leaf tea can appear old fashioned and a wee bit staid. Honestly though, there are so many tea companies that make fun and modern loose leaf tea blends. You can enjoy a traditional Earl Grey, but you can also enjoy a modern salted caramel blend or a vanilla creme rooibos. There is fun to be had with tea, so experiment - you'll certainly find some blends you're not keen on, but also many that you will love and become part of your loose leaf tea routine.










4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. I have just started making loose leaf tea and this was invaluable. I have struggled with some tea becoming a little bitter and I have followed brewing instructions to the letter. I know green tea has to be at a cooler temperature and I'm monitoring that. Where am I going wrong?

    Thank you
    Sarah M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah

    Thank you for the comment.

    If you are following the infusion instructions closely, for example not over brewing and observing boiling water information then you need to look at what your using to make tea.

    Are you using a teapot? If so then this could be the cause of the problem. So firstly you need to find out the size of your pot. Is it one cup, two cups etc? The ratio should be one teaspoon per cup and one for the pot. However, if you're using a one cup pot then I would say one teaspoon and maybe a quarter to half a teaspoon for the pot.

    Which tea are you using, Sarah? Is it a perfumed tea like Earl Grey or Rose Garden or something like that? If it is then perhaps knock half a minute off the brewing time. Also if it is a Earl Grey then how much have you paid for it? If it's the cheaper end of the market it could just be the quality is not so good of the bergamot or flavouring that is used in that blend.

    Also are you warming the pot? This is beneficial when taking black and herbal tea's. However if you are making green tea then warm the pot but don't using boiling hot water to do so as this could scorch the leaves when you add them.

    I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I'm using a one cup pot and doing one for cup one for pot and it's a Earl Grey from Twinings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah

    No problems. Two suggestions I'd make are:

    Reduced the one for the pot to a half or quarter. Firstly though, try it without one for pot - I suspect this will be the best solution.

    Secondly, I think you may do better to have a slightly softer Earl Grey if the above solution doesn't work. Try CHASH tea, that's a far better blend.

    Good luck and let me know how you get on!

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete