Friday 23 March 2018

Twinings: Discovery Collection: London Strand Earl Grey



Today my second tea order arrived, this time from Twinings. Within my order is the gorgeous orange and cinnamon blend that I purchase regularly from their international section. But, as a tea lover through and through I couldn't stop at just one purchase. I brought something I have had my eye on for a little while. That blend is London Strand Earl Grey from their Discovery collection.

I have already purchased at Christmas their Rose Garden tea from the same collection that I will review at a later date and was thoroughly impressed with it. And, as a girl who bleeds Earl Grey when she is cut, I honestly had to have this tea and I do wonder, on reflection, why I've not tried this before.

This tea is available in two different forms, large leaf loose tea and in pyramids. Although pyramids are convenient, I always opt for the loose tea option. It's just a preference of mine - there is no difference in quality. But, my heart belongs to loose tea and I love how you can vary the amount you use to produce very different cups of tea!

The tea itself comes in a really pretty yellow caddy which has etchings of various London sites and on the back an artists rendition of Twinings tiny little shop, situated on the Strand. The only issue I do have with the caddy itself, just like the Christmas blend and just like Rose Garden is that its not a hinged lid, and is really hard to get off. Sometimes, in my struggle, I even bend the caddy itself so this is something you may need to be aware of if you have any physical difficulties.

When the tea arrives from Twinings it's contained in a lovely gold foil bag within the caddy. I tend to remove the tea and place it straight into the caddy because I find it's less fiddly and easier to get to the tea when it's out of it's foil bag. Again, that's just my choice but I honestly have kept Rose Garden within the foil and ended up losing so much as it was spilt on the counter top.


The tea used in this blend is a Chinese black tea and it has gorgeous black tea leaves which are really stark. However, the blend is also dotted with lovely bright yellow pieces of lemon rind - this Earl Grey is different to most Earl Greys because this has the added bonus of lemon, which, as I will explain later, puts a different  spin on the traditional Earl Grey.

At the moment, I'm using a floating infuser so I filled it with about three quarters of a teaspoon as I was drinking the tea from a tiny cup and saucer. Naturally though, I will alter the amount of tea used depending on which cup I am using to drink from. I infused the tea for a standard three minutes which was perfect.


The tea infuses to a wonderful dark red, copper colour.

London Strand Earl Grey has the typical aroma of Earl Grey. The all too familiar scent of bergamot is wonderful, but there is a bright, fresh and natural aroma of fruit as well. It's a tea of different layers and it really is nicely done.

I love the Chinese tea used as a base tea. It's strong and robust and brings to the tea it's wonderful hue. It's very smooth and easy to drink. It also is ever so slightly nutty as well which brings to mind the wonderful Keemun tea's that I have been fortunate to taste. Though strong it's not bitter or overpowering, but I believe this tea does need a strong base tea to hold it's own against the flavour of the bergamot and lemon.

So, what of the bergamot? Well, it's interesting. I've had several comments left on this blog about how Twinings bog standard Earl Grey, THE Earl Grey as it's now called is disappointing, lacks substance and is generally a bit, mah! And to be honest, I think I tend to agree with this general view. In fact it's so nondescript that I no longer purchase it. I much prefer Sainsburys Taste The Difference Earl Grey, and even the decaffeinated blend has more pow about it then THE Earl Grey.

However, all is not lost with Twinings Earl Grey - with London Strand Earl Grey they have redeemed themselves. And they have done it in a classy way. And I can only hope and pray they keep this blend going.

The bergamot, that one ingredient that makes Earl Grey, well, Earl Grey, is present, vivid, tasty and incredibly moreish. It is the lack of decent bergamot flavour which has made THE Earl Grey such a wishy washy blend. This, however, is bergamot back to where it should be. It should not taste like perfume, which so many do. And this does not. It's actually quite subtle yet packs a punch. It is present and you can taste it's glorious flavour, yet, compliments the blend rather then overpowers and that is what I have the biggest problem with when I purchase Earl Grey in, cafe's for instance. It's extremely well balanced - Twinings blender has done a fabulous job creating this tea.

Lemon is the other important ingredient in it's blend. It's the scattering of lemon rind that makes this tea a visually pretty tea, but that slight sharp twang of citrus fruit keeps this blend interesting. It keeps your tongue on it's toes. I love that ever so tart flavour that you get at the end of the sip, it works perfectly well with the sweetness of the bergamot and the nuttiness of the base tea.

Underneath all those flavours there is a earthiness, which comes from the base tea. It's a integral part of the tea as it's something to get your teeth into. Something that makes this tea satisfying for those tea drinkers who may appreciate the maltiness they get from a Assam blend, or the powerful punch from English Breakfast.

This tea is best taken without milk - adding milk will detract from the gorgeous mixture of flavours and textures. Though I suppose a slice of lemon wouldn't hurt, but honestly, it's perfect as it is.

There is a natural lightness oddly enough about this tea. And it's extremely refreshing thanks to it's citrus element. This is best served in your finest bone china for afternoon tea, with a big wedge of lemon drizzle cake!

I will admit that I had long given up on Twinings managing to create a decent Earl Grey after changing it's original blend and doing away with it's floral Earl Grey range some years back. But I believe they are back on top now with this fun, funky and incredibly delightful blend. I certainly found this a enjoyable Earl Grey and for a Earl Grey devotee ... that really is saying something.

This tea is priced at £8.50 for 100g's and I think it's well worth the price.


No comments:

Post a Comment