Wednesday 28 March 2018

Whittard: Blend #67: Ceylon Orange Pekoe



Sometimes, as a tea drinker, you can get rather carried away by the plethora of flavoured tea's out there. From traditional blends like Earl Grey to the more exotic, such as chocolate and coconut, you are not short of tempting flavours to try.

But, going back to simplicity is just as fulfilling. To sit and enjoy a black tea in it's purest form is one of my biggest luxuries in life. I don't ask for much - but I do ask for decent quality tea. And at the risk of sounding like a thorough tea snob, it's almost impossible for me to drink substandard tea anymore. Thankfully, though, through wise tea choices, that doesn't happen - not when I'm at home at least.

Recently I found myself doing the internet version of window shopping. I had decided to purchase a box of tea from Whittard and made the fatal error, particularly on pay day, of just looking around, seeing what else was available, when I stumbled on their Ceylon Orange Pekoe tea.

I must admit I have a particular fondness for this blend. I have tried many and have always held that in my heart a little bit. Of course the quality of the tea varies. I have had some dreadful ones and some lovely ones, much like other blends that I have tried.

I purchased the loose leaf tea in a caddy rather than teabags, hopeful that this will be a blend that I really like. As I have said in other posts, I'm just mad about their caddies! So classy and elegant - a very pretty and graceful addition to anyones kitchen!


The actual tea itself is beautiful to look at and feels lovely when held in your hand. It has a vibrant copper like colour to it, and the tea inside the caddy is plentiful - this will last quite some time.

I generously filled my tea infuser with one and a half proper teaspoons of tea, poured freshly drawn and freshly boiled (please, do not use reboiled water - it will make a glorious cup of tea taste like a rotten, bitter mess) water into the cup and waited for four minutes as the tea infused.

Today had been a particularly stressful day. I had routine tests at the hospital, nothing to worry about, but all the while these tests were going on my mind wondered to several different subjects, including what cup of tea I was going to enjoy in the afternoon - anything to distract me from the hospital environment which nobody likes.  So, once this tea had infused I couldn't wait to sit down and drink it. It was much needed and much appreciated.

What I love most about this blend is it's natural smoothness. Orange Pekoe is generally a tea that is easy to drink - and this certainly is no different.

Despite being full of flavour and endlessly satisfying, it also has a delicate lightness to it as well. And because of that lightness it is extremely refreshing.

There is a slight earthy flavour running through this tea. On first sip there is a sweet flavour with honey like tones but as the sip develops it goes from sweet and light to earthy. Two different types of tea within one cup!

What makes this stand out is most Sri Lankan tea's are quite strong and even border on the bitter, but Orange Pekoe is the complete opposite, just so light and delicate. But it's almost addictive this tea, you want more and more of it and I'm already up and boiling the kettle for a second cup.

Due to it's wonderful lightness this tea is designed to be taken without milk, however, if you brew it for longer then milk can be added - but my own personal opinion is that by adding milk you are corrupting this tea that is bordering on perfect. I also believe that this tea would be great to drink if you're making the leap from having milk in your tea to taking your tea without. If I had known of this blend when I decided to take my tea black the transition would of been made much easier.

I honestly don't think you can get any better than this if you want a tea that is beautiful in it's simplicity. A unadulterated tea that is just so incredibly moreish and tasty and about as perfect as it can possibly be. And this blend from Whittard is one of the best.

It's tea's like this that really do make me very thankful that I love black tea the most. The spectrum of flavours can do to robust and strong to light and delicate, such as this. And you can tell when a tea is so good that it just leaves you wanting more and more of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment