Thursday 22 March 2018

Marks and Spencer: Purple Tea With Blueberries



Hello everyone! It's been a while. After several major computer issues caused me to be unable to blog I am happily back to where I love to be. Writing about tea.

The first tea I have chosen to blog about is a wonderful, glorious little blend that I found in Marks and Spencer. Now, I will admit, that I never really saw Marks and Spencer as the go to place to find a nice blend of tea. Well, it's not the first place most people would think about unless they wanted a everyday type of tea.

Recently though, I've been really surprised about what this little hidden tea gem actually has in stock. Their Empress Grey blend is more than a equal to Twinings Lady Grey. Their fruity Christmas tea brings a refreshing change to the typical Christmas spice that is available at the festive time of year.

During a visit earlier this year to Nantwich in Cheshire to visit my best friend we found ourselves browsing Marks and Spencer food hall to fill some time before the afternoon school run. Naturally, whilst she was looking for treats for the children, I wondered down the tea aisle and saw that they had a few teas that were selling on a reduced price.

One of those teas was this glorious Purple Tea With Blueberries. Sadly, I cannot link to the item as Marks and Spencer do not sell tea online.

This full bodied tea comes in packs of fifteen silky pyramids, which, are filled with a generous amount of tea. As soon as you open the interior plastic packaging, the juicy aroma of blueberries fills the air. Recently I have tasted many teas that contain fruit and found them lacking, both in taste and aroma, but this tea is mouthwatering even before you've made a cup!

You may be wondering why this is called Purple tea. Well, the tea used in this blend is from Rwanda and their leaves are special because they are actually purple! Now, you can actually bring out the purple colour in this tea by adding a dash of lemon. Sadly, I've not yet been able to try this out but I will do, shortly!

When preparing this tea it's best to use freshly boiled water. I have made this tea several times and by using reboiled water it does tend to bring a bitter, slightly tart element to this tea which isn't very enjoyable so freshly drawn and freshly boiled water is the way to go with this blend. I also found that by being exact in the amount of time you infuse this blend (two minutes is perfect) will help you avoid a astringent cup of tea.

This tea is so pretty to watch as it infuses. It's colour darkens almost by the second and you are left with a dark red coloured tea. No milk is necessary with this tea, as it will ruin the flavour of the blueberries.

If you haven't tried Rwandan tea before you'll be in for a treat. It's very robust, full bodied and extremely strong. However, at the same time, it doesn't have the malty element that tea from a area like Assam can have. But it is because of it's strength that  you have to infuse properly - it does have the tendency to go bitter and it does have a slightly bitter edge anyway as part of it's natural qualities. So remember the two minute rule!

Due to it's strength it's incredibly satisfying and I find it perfect to have after I've got in after a long shift at work because it does give you a refreshing lift, not something that every tea gives you. It does tend to boost my energy as well. It would be perfect to take to work with me, however, as it cools it can go bitter. This tea needs to be taken hot!

What makes me REALLY love this tea is the addition of the blueberry flavour. Now, it's not often that I have experienced blueberries in a black tea. It tends to sit better with white tea. But Marks and Spencer have really created a lovely tea that is full of the juicy flavour of the fruit. And even though this tea is strong, the blueberry flavour is not lost either. It's well balanced blend and the two flavours are well matched, also.

I think this blend is for you if you like your tea strong, with a slightly delicate edge. It may not be for you if you like a more delicate blend, or if you are used to drinking your tea with milk.

An important lesson I have learned with this tea is never to be judgemental. And I had been judgemental thinking that Marks and Spencer tea wouldn't be any good. When, in fact, almost every blend that I have tried have been utterly delightful.

So when your next in Marks and Spencer do check out their tea aisle, and in particular, their wonderful Purple Tea With Blueberries! I'm positive you won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment