Sunday 1 June 2014

Ahmad Tea: Earl Grey - I Just Couldn't Resist!

Not another Earl Grey review, you may be thinking! I know and I'm sorry. But, if I have a Earl Grey sitting in the cupboard, how can I not review it?

Ahmad Tea, as readers will know, kindly sent me two selection boxes. One featuring green tea, one featuring pure and flavoured black tea's.

The first black tea I tried was their gloriously delicious English Tea No.1 and it was incredibly tasty. But, being a Earl Grey lover (and addict!) I found it very hard to leave this in the cupboard and not try it. So, last night I decided to. Since then I've had three more cups!

This Earl Grey is a very strongly scented take on the famous tea. It has a wonderful citrus aroma with is fresh and inviting. As you can see above, each tea comes in it's own foil envelope, so when you pull open the envelope the lovely scent is very strong and tempting, too.

I just wanted to spare a minute to talk about their packaging. Each tea from the Classic selection box comes with a painting of various London sites, and, being a native Londoner, I feel just a little homesick each time I see them. But the illustrations are wonderful and are really pretty to look at.

Back to the tea. The brewing suggestions on the tea say to brew between three and four minutes. Last night I brewed the tea for four but found it a little too strong for my tastes so opted today to brew it for three minutes which was far better suited to my tastes.

The tea used in this blend is very strong, so the addition of bergamot oil which adds a lovely citrus based taste is lovely. However, this blend is one of the stronger blends of Earl Grey I've tasted, so I think you have to already be a Earl Grey lover to totally enjoy this. If your just stepping into the Earl Grey world, or are unsure if you will like the famous blend, then this may not be the one for you. It's quite overpowering and I find that one cup is enough, so I tend to have a cup, then have a cup of something else till a bit later on.

I don't think I've had a tea that is quite this robust. But it's totally enjoyable. It does not lack oomph that's for sure!

I absolutely loved this tea. It hit all the spots for me that make for a perfect Earl Grey:

  • A good quality base tea (which all Ahmad tea's have)
  • A fresh, fragrant aroma
  • A lovely fruity taste
  • A richness that leaves your mouth feeling refreshed
I don't take milk with this tea, though of course, there is nothing stopping you if that's your thing! But, I love to add a slice of lemon to really bring out the tastes wonderfully.

For more information on Ahmad's Earl Grey, and if you'd like to buy it online please visit their shop.
The good news is you can purchase Ahmad's Earl Grey in lots of different quantities, as well as loose and in teabag variety.

Of course Earl Grey also comes in as part of Ahamd's Classical black tea selection box. If you fancy treating yourself then check it out! It's gorgeous to look at and the contents are not too bad either!

No comments:

Post a Comment