Friday 27 June 2014

Tea Huggers: Slow Down


I find it really exhilarating discovering new tea companies. Since I started this blog in January I've discovered so many new brands. In actual fact only a very small percentage of tea companies appear in supermarkets and grocery stores. Thanks to the internet I've found a plethora of companies out there who make fantastic and interesting tea's. 

Last week I was approached by Esther who runs Tea Huggers (what a fab name!) and she kindly asked if I'd like a couple of samples, which of course, I jumped at the chance. 

Luckily, I was sent two boxes, Skinny Fit and this wonderful blend, Slow Down. I chose to try Slow Down first because it contains several lovely and interesting ingredients. 


As you can see the contents are varied. The tea has a Chinese green tea base, with the addition of apple, lime leaves and thyme. The blend is designed to help you relax and it's perfect to curl up on the sofa with after a hard day at work.

Slow Down comes in a pyramid teabag and contains large leaved tea with fruit and spices. The pyramid is quite large, nice to the touch and is full of tea. If you look really closely you can see the fantastic pieces of apple which appear as if they had just been cut up this morning!

 
I brewed this tea for several minutes and I have to say, probably due to it's thyme content, it's very aromatic. Of course it is as soon as you open the box but when you add the water, something happens which makes the tea burst alive with flavours and scents. 

Although this tea contains several ingredients, for  me there are two very strong elements that dominate (in a nice way) the flavours and that is the lime leaves and thyme. Supping this tea is really rather extraordinary because you can taste these two flavours at the same time.

The lime leaves add a wonderfully tangy citrus tone to the tea. The thyme brings a herbal taste. Surprisingly the two taste's work well together. The thyme, I will admit, took a little bit of getting used to simply because I've not tried such a herb in tea before. But, it's tasty and gives the tea a totally different angle. 

Amongst these two strong flavours I detected, as a after bite, the sweetness of the apple. This tea is quite a mixture of flavours and textures and it makes for one very interesting cup of tea. 

I loved the smoothness of this tea. It feels almost silky to drink and has a lovely depth of flavour. Drinking this tea is interesting because the different tastes almost develop in your mouth one by one. 

As it contains thyme this tea could possibly take a little bit of getting used to. I loved it immediately. There is something about this tea that suits, and appeals, to my taste buds. It's quirky, but, at the same gives you a decent cup of tea that you can rely on to satisfy, warm and relax you. It's a bit different whilst still retaining that quality that I love in teas - the ability to soothe you and make everything better!

I'd really recommend this tea, particularly if you like garden herbs in your tea. 

Tea Huggers is a very unique blend and can't wait to try their Skinny Fit tea soon! 

Have a look around Tea Huggers website and introduce yourself to the brand. If you like tea's that are different to the norm then it's the company for you!


2 comments: