Friday 28 April 2017

Bev's Tea Company: Thieves Brew


When you explore the tea world you realise that there is a plethora of wonderful tea's out there. There are fresh and new blends appearing almost weekly and we also have traditional tea's such as Earl Grey. And believe me I love an exotically flavoured tea as much as the next tea lover.

But there is also something really nice about sinking back into your favourite chair or comfy bed with a cup of plain black tea. The pure tea that has absolutely nothing (not even milk or sweetener!) added. As a tea blogger I sometimes am guilty of forgetting that aside from all the flavoured tea's there is just plain black tea that can be as equally satisfying and enjoyable. I'm so used to trying a whole range of tea's that it's nice to come back to where I started.

Of course, to enjoy black tea in the best way possible it's vital that you have a really good quality tea. This evening I'm enjoying just that. The blend is Thieves Blend from Bev's Tea Company. I was sent this tea through the fabulous tea subscription service, teatourist

The fabulous blend is a Ceylon tea from Sri Lanka.

According to Bev's Tea Company website, the blend gets it's interesting  name from the fact that workers on the tea estate would make this tea in their own homes, often stealing leaves!


This tea is gorgeous to look at with lovely, dark black leaves. This is traditional tea at it's very best and takes me back to visiting my nan and watching her make a pot of tea up with leaves that looked very similar to this. I love the fact too that the leaves in this blend are fairly large so wont escape during the brewing process.

I boiled the kettle and infused the tea and watched as it infused to a bright copper colour. Again, attractive and inviting. The appearance of this wonderful tea is pleasing.


Friday nights are like Sunday nights for me. My shift pattern starts on a Saturday so I like to drink plenty of tea and blog on a Friday. So I made up a cup of this tea and settled down.

From first sip I really loved this tea. I like how this is full of flavour yet not too strong and overbearing and certainly not malty like Assam tea can be.

This is a smooth black tea which is nice and easy to drink. I like that it has a richness and with each sip your mouth is bursting with flavour. For me there is also a ever so slight nutty tang to this tea.

Though unflavoured this tea has a slight hint of citrus to it. Though this tea has a rich quality to it, it's also very light and sits easily on the stomach. This is a great tea to have any time of the day but I find it's especially nice to brew in the early evening, taken just after dinner.

When the tea cools it retain's it's lovely and refreshing light flavour and does not go bitter and astringent.

I found this to be a most satisfying cup of tea. It is of a very high quality and is a great all rounder. I take all my tea without milk and unsweetened. However, I should imagine this would take to milk and sugar very well and also lemon if you wanted to make your tea a little more exotic!

I do wish I had access to this tea when I made the leap from taking my tea milky and sweet to black. This is subtle enough to help make that change if you are planning to, whilst, at the same time, providing you with a enjoyable and fulfilling cup of tea.

I can honestly say that this tea did not last very long - the cup was very soon empty!

This is the first tea I've tried from Bev's Tea Company and I'm sure it won't be the last. I am so impressed with the lovely quality of the tea. I love the lightness, I love how fresh it is and how it's perfect to unwind to after a busy day.


No comments:

Post a Comment