Friday 14 April 2017

Shibui Tea: Japanese Kukicha


This tea from Shibui Tea has been sitting on my counter top for several weeks now. I cannot say how many times I've picked it up to sample and review, then put it down again. It's a strange looking tea, very twiggy looking. It's also very dark in colour. In a strange way, just like I was with Earl Grey, I've almost been a bit too nervous to try this tea. It's so very different, I wasn't quite sure if I'd "get" this tea. It looked as though it could be complicated.

However, sometimes we need to push our boundaries. Experiment. Try something new. That's what this blog is all about, trying new tea's and seeing if they appeal to us. Some do, some do not.

This Japanese Kukicha green tea from Shibui Tea certainly does push my tea drinking boundaries in as much as it's so different.

The main thing about this tea is it doesn't actually have tea leaves in it. It's made from the branches and stems of the tea plant, hence it's twig like appearance. The stems and branches are roasted in it's preparation which probably accounts for it dark black colour.

I think one of the things that made me slightly hesitant to try this tea was that it is described as having a smoky flavour. Many years ago I had a horrendous experience with a particular foul Lapsang Souchong tea and since then have been put off anything that is remotely smoky. I wasn't expecting this tea to be easy in the slightest to drink.

However, I filled up the empty tea bag with a substantial amount of the tea. I had switched the kettle off just prior to it reaching boiling point, and infused the tea for three minutes. And I waited. As it's described as being between a green tea and oolong I wasn't expecting it to take on such a dark hue, but it was attractive to look at. And the smokiness, which I was expecting to be everywhere, was extremely subtle.

I honestly will say that up to this point, I was truly expecting not to like this tea. But upon first sip ... oh my goodness. It's certainly different but it's very, very good. All doubts that I have had about this tea for weeks melted away. And actually, it's a tea that suits me quite well. I should of tried it ages ago!

Firstly, I ADORE the woody element to this tea. That's why I love green tea so much, because of the woody, earthy, vegetation type flavour and this has it in bucket loads. It's just so delicious, it's full of flavour, it's a tea that you could almost bite into if it were a solid object. This tea is as satisfying as if it were a full bodied Assam. It is glorious.

There is a element of smokiness. But it's not that overpowering taste like you get in some (cheap) Lapsang Souchong tea's. It's discreet, but adds a interesting pang to the tea, giving this tea a depth of taste to it. The smoky flavour is merely hinted at, it doesn't encase the whole tea. It takes the tea to another level. That one element in tea that I dislike and has put me off other blends really does make this tea very tasty indeed. So much so that though I will never be a Lapsang Souchong fan, I will be more willing in the future to try tea's that have smoky elements.

As much as Jasmine tea has feminine elements to it, this tea is very masculine. That's not to say that ladies can't enjoy this - it's not what I meant at all, rather, it's robust, strong and solid. It's quite a macho tea and I love it.

I love how the flavour of the tea stays in your mouth for absolutely ages and ages. It's surprisingly refreshing and incredibly moreish. I found it just a great tea to relax to early in the afternoon. As it's Good Friday I have my feet up watching a movie and it's really great to sip on this flavoursome tea.

I know I always say you shouldn't judge a tea on it's appearance. And I let myself down because I forgot this simple rule when it came to this tea. I looked at it's twig like appearance, I read it was smoky and dismissed it as something I wouldn't like. But actually, I've been missing out on a tea that not only provides me with exactly the elements I love in green tea but makes me feel really great. I have learned a very important tea lesson here!

I can honestly say that this is, perhaps, one of the biggest surprises in my tea drinking career. I loved the grittiness this tea has. I love how earthy it is. I love the fact that even the stems and branches of the tea plant can be turned into a fantastic drink. That none of the tea plant need go to waste.

I would highly recommend this satisfying tea. It's powerful flavour will stay with you, it's smoky elements are both tasty and unforgettable. I came away not only loving this tea but feeling happy and satisfied after drinking it.

It's funny but the tea I have doubted for weeks has hit all the important spots for me.

And also, I've learned a really good lesson. Sometimes things are not always beautiful on a surface level but can bring such happiness and joy into your life. It was a pleasure to drink this tea!




No comments:

Post a Comment