Sunday 30 April 2017

Pukka Tea: Supreme Matcha Green



A few weeks ago I went shopping with my mum. I was having a lovely time till she uttered those words I hate. "I'm going into Marks and Spencers". For those who don't live in the UK and are unsure about Marks and Spencers I will describe it for you. It's generally a clothes shop where ladies and gents can go to kit themselves out in the latest fashions. It's also hotter than hades. Possibly, even, the center of the sun. In short, no matter if it's spring, summer, autumn or winter, you will fry to death in that shop.

It also has the ability to turn me from a perfectly normal, rational person, to a miserable grump in 0.23 seconds. 

So, leaving mum to browse the sales rails, and possibly to fight to the death for that reduced top she's had her eye on for months, I popped into Holland and Barrett and wanted a nose around their tea section. I was delighted by what I found. There was plenty of choice and honestly, it's a phyiscal impossibility for me not to buy something.

I was also feeling slightly under the weather and wanted a boost so after quite some time considering what to buy, I settled on Pukka Organic Tea's interesting Supreme Matcha Green tea.

Within the box there are 20 individually wrapped tea sachets.


Each sachet contains a standard tea bag with tag. However, as you can see, the teabag is filled with a generous amount of tea.


I have never tried matcha. I will admit, with a great deal of shame, that I have absolutely no idea how to prepare what I hear is the most magical, energy boosting tea, so I thought I may be able to experience matcha within the convenience of a teabag. Each bag contains matcha powder, and the leaves of tea from China, India and Vietnam.

I was beyond excited to taste this interesting and different tea.

Considering the tea is green I was surprised at the brewing instructions. They went against the grain of everything we know and trust about infusing green tea. No off boil water for two minutes. This tea needs boiling water and has a infusion time of between three and five minutes! So different from normal green tea!

This tea has left me in two minds. I like it but at the same time not totally sure if it appeals to me. It's so strange to leave me feeling in two minds, but that is exactly how this tea makes me feel. I flim flam on this tea. Go from really loving it to just liking it. It's all so odd.

Supreme Matcha Green has all those familiar tastes that I love in green tea. It has that grassy earthiness. The natural, healthy feeling and the satisfaction that green tea gives.

There are many different layers to this tea, and it's strong and has depth, which I think comes from the matcha powder.

When you first take your sip you have that gorgeous grassy flavour that I adore in green tea, followed by a rich earthiness which I find most appealing. However, towards the end of the sip there is a astringency, a uncomfortable bitterness and I think that is where my problem with this tea lies. It's a sip of two halves; gloriously light and refreshing, herbal and healthy at the start and quite bitter and hard to drink at the end of the sip.

And the fact that I haven't actually managed to finish a full mug says a lot about this tea. Normally, with most tea's I have, the cup is finished and the kettle re-boiling in a matter of seconds. With this blend though, it doesn't even get finished. It's like I start the cup with the best intentions but just run out of heart half way through.

I WANT to like this tea. I WANT to love it. But not matter how many times I try, I just can't seem to. I like it, it's not gross or unpleasant, but I don't love it. It's just missing out on that extra something, and with the missing "something" plus the bitterness, I just really struggle with it.

I probably will keep trying with this tea, if just to finish off the box, but I can't see me buying this again.

You will love this tea if you like the slight astringency that green tea is famous for. And you'll most certainly love this if you are a matcha lover. This won't be for you though if you prefer the more delicate green tea's or if the tart taste doesn't work for you.

I will not give up on this tea though. Next time I infuse it, I'll use cooled water and just infuse for a minute or so to see if this changes the taste.

It's really hard to write a blog that isn't overflowing with positivity. But to be a proper blogger I have to be honest. I can't write what I don't feel. To say I love something when I don't, I'm not just lying to myself, but to you, the reader. And that just never sits easily with me.

Of course, taste is so personal. You may just love it. So why don't you try and see what you think and then let me know. I'll be interested to hear.


7 comments:

  1. Whoa, Laura! I am a avid reader of your blog but never commented before. I was really interested in your opinion of this tea (which I happen to love!). You do sound slightly awkward about not writing a entirely positive review but please don't worry about that. It gives you credibility and lets readers know you say what you think. Oh and I also agree with you .. Marks and Spencers is hotter than hades!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LAURA I HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH YOU ON THIS I'M AFRAID. MY WIFE AND I (BOTH IN OUR LATE 50'S) BROUGHT THIS IN THE NEW YEAR AS PART OF OUR HEALTHY LIVING REGIME AND WE BOTH LOVE THE TEA. WE BUY A BOX EVERY TIME WE GO TO H&B. WE LIKE THE FACT IT CONTAINS MATCHA. A WELL WRITTEN REVIEW BUT WRONG IN IT'S CONCLUSIONS I'M AFRAID.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much Claudia!I appreciate your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tony. Nice to speak to you again. Well, I think we ought to agree to differ on this particular tea I think. I just can't stomach it and find it unpleasant.

    However, I'm glad that you and Mrs Tony like it! I have 18 sachets left. I've asked around the blogging community if anyone wants them and there are no takers. If you email me on:
    laura.burley79@gmail.com with your postal address and full name I'd be happy to pass these sachets onto you as it seems they will go to a good home.

    Best wishes
    Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANK YOU LAURA!! I WILL EMAIL YOU DIRECTLY.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christina Bellfield5 May 2017 at 06:24

    I also quite like this tea (Sorry Laura). I have a penpal who sends me quite a few herbal teas' from the UK and I did really like this. Where I live we do not get a good selection of herbal tea's so this made a great change.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Christina.

    You don't have to apologise. We all like different things and I'm glad that this tea has some fans. I just couldn't stomach it and that really does say a lot as I love a vast majority of the tea's I encounter.

    Glad you enjoyed the tea!

    ReplyDelete