Thursday 27 November 2014

Drink Me: Tea Latte: Earl Grey


As regular readers may know, I do not take milk or sugar in my tea. This is for two reasons. Firstly, I'm a perpetual WeightWatcher and diary items are slightly too high in "points". Secondly, I suffer from eczema and too much diary can often bring on an attack of said skin condition. The last bout lasted about twenty months making me feel under the weather, stopped me from sleeping and left my legs looking as though they had been (un)lovingly caressed by Freddy Kruger. Thankfully, skin has cleared up and is now smooth, soft and peachy.

Sometimes though you just fancy something totally special and delightful and today, in a box of samples, I found it. Fellow blogger Rebecca kindly send me a sample of Drink Me  Tea Latte: Earl Grey.

Drink Me are tea's that come in tubs or packets and are a powdered tea. The powders also have dried skimmed milk contained within it as well as sugar (this is going to be a treat, so I don't mind it as a one off). But, it's a relatively low calorie treat at only 90 calories per 20g serving. (Most of the other range of drinks are available in tub form but Earl Grey is only available in sachets which are conveniently measured out in 20g's).

I was unsure about this product for the sole fact that the only other powered tea I'd tried was one by Whittards which, in retrospect, was less of a treat.

As you can see in the photograph below, the tea comes powdered and looks a lot like hot chocolate powder.


Already, when tipping the powder into the mug I could smell the lovely sweetness and aroma of Earl Grey, though subtle, is certainly present.

Making the Tea Latte is ever so easy. You simply add hot water and whisk it vigorously for a minute or so. This is all in the wrist action however, and it wasn't as frothy as I was expecting, however, it is really lovely to enjoy a latte, which are normally made from coffee.


After a rather frantic morning, I took a few minutes out to enjoy this tea. And I have to say, I was not disappointed with it. It's incredibly milky and, possibly due to my lack of drinking anything milky normally, it felt really indulgent and very, very lush.

The first sip was rather heavenly for me. It's so creamy and tasty and something really, really different too. It's almost like drinking your favourite hot chocolate, sweet and comforting.

The flavour of Earl Grey is very delicate indeed, but is easily detectable. It's reminds me rather of Twinings special edition Delicate Earl Grey which was released a year or so ago. It's a gentle, soft addition to the tea, not a full on flavour. But it's fragrant enough to make this tea something lovely.
I thought that making this a Earl Grey flavoured tea was unique. It was rather scrummy.

Strangely enough, I felt really full after drinking this tea, and the lovely sweetness remains in your mouth for some time after. I was quite disappointed when I reached the bottom of the cup, because I wanted it to last a whole lot longer!

Drink Me  have other tea's in the range, which I am now eager to try. These include Chai, Vanilla, Peppermint, Mango, Chocolate and a green tea version.

The Chai, I have seen in supermarkets, so think that is probably the next one I'll experience.

I was pleasantly surprised by Earl Grey Tea Latte. I wasn't sure what to expect from the drink and did not feel let down at all by it. It's really different and it's actually so different it's a hard review to write as I could'nt seem to find the right words to describe it.

However, due to the sweetness, which I am unused to, it's not a tea I'd drink several times a day. It may not be a tea I'd even drink on a daily basis. But for a rich, indulgent treat, I can't beat it.

When making the tea, just be careful to stir it firmly and for some time. It's very much like hot chocolate in as much as if you don't stir it correctly you can have lumps of sweet tea powder left in the bottom of the cup, which is what happened to me. I wasn't put off by this, but it is something worth noting for when you decide to make a cup (and when I make another).

If you'd like more information on Drink Me click here. For a direct link to Tea Latte: Earl Grey click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment