Wednesday 5 November 2014

Why Tea Is Medicine For My Soul And The Greatest Thing On Earth


I think I can safely say that 2014 hasn't been the best year for me. Much like the Queen, in 1992, when Princess Diana almost single handedly brought down the House Of Windsor, I could consider this year my "annus horribilis".

But amongst all the turmoil was one thing that stood like stone - tea.

By it's very nature it's warming, but it's something that has never left my side, brought me comfort and aided those moments of reflection.

What I've realised is it doesn't really matter what tea you like. Green, black, white or yellow.  Fruit, or herbal. Once you've found your favourite (and in my experience that can vary on a daily or even hourly basis) you have a friend for life.

Despite the chatter and general hubbub you experience in places like Costa or Starbucks, I have felt that there is a real community with tea lovers. It's like a extended family, and whilst there is a high rate of tea drinking around the world, it still feels as though being a dedicated tea drinker, you are a member of an exclusive club - and a very special one at that.

The absolute kindest people I know I have met through my tea journey. And all of us brought together by our love for  camellia sinensis.

Quite often, my obsession with tea leaves people with a total lack of understanding. 'It's just a drink' is a term that I've heard often recently. But to me it's not. Due to the different types of tea, the different flavours, textures  and strengths, each cup is like taking a special journey. In my mind I can imagine being someplace else, each tea has it's own story and I love to read where they are from and how they are made.

I have been labelled recently a "tea snob" and I'm quite proud of that. Life is too short to drink substandard tea. Everyone deserves a treat and when you know you are infusing a really special tea there isn't anything quite like it. But, I do understand that others do not see tea as I do, and to many it's just something to drink, to guzzle back as they head out of the door.

One of the best purchases I've made this year was a Bodum travel mug, meaning I can have excellent tea on the go. I can take it everywhere with me now!

To be a tea addict is utterly lovely. To enjoy every sip, every single flavour is marvelous. There is, I feel, nothing else quite like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment