Thursday 20 November 2014

Twinings Mango Tango


I will admit from the get go that I did not buy this tea. It actually came through a Orcado order my mum made, so when she wasn't looking pinched a teabag and decided to make a cup so I could include it here!

Mango Tango is a mango flavoured green tea that has a hint of ginger. It consists of loose tea in a silky  pyramid and is part of their new range, which also includes ranges such as Plummy Earl Grey (which I'm keen to try), Popcorn Tea and Chocolately Assam.

The packaging for their new range is really lovely. As you can see in the photo above it's bright, interesting and certainly eye catching. The designs are really, really lovely. Also, rather conveniently, they are resealable so your tea stays fresh. It's certainly a clever way to package your tea and is far better then a cardboard box with plastic inner bag. 

The tea is certainly fragrant and the smell of mango is fresh and invigorating and is very reminiscent of when you open a tin of mango's, the fruity blast is really inviting.

The teabag is silky and within the tea is bright and colourful with pieces of mango adding a dash of colour to the tea.

I boiled the kettle, let the water cool a a little and let it brew for two minutes.

I let the tea cool down quite a lot, as rather strangely (and this is odd I will admit) green tea always seems to be hotter then black tea!

Mango Tango, as I said earlier is a green tea with mango and ginger. 

The tea is of a nice quality. It is a large leaf tea and the tea is a marvelous, lush colour.

Now, what about the added flavours. Well, I have to be totally honest, and say I'm a little disappointed in this blend.

I love mango, I love the juiceiness of it, so I generally love mango flavoured things such as ice cream, yoghurt or mango juice.  And if the tea were mango alone this would get the thumbs up from me. However, it's the addition of the ginger that left me slightly deflated.

I feel the ginger does not work with the lovely mango, and I'm not totally sure why it's been added. It's a strange combination and for me, anyway, it doesn't work. Maybe it's been added to counterbalance the sweetness of the fruit. Maybe not. But it just doesn't gel as a pairing for me, and I would go as far as to say it's rather odd. Ginger and lemon, yes, ginger and mango, no! Yes, the mango is sweet, but it's fine, it doesn't need something so sharp to offset it, in my opinion.

But, if I take the ginger as a lone ingredient, it's doesn't have as much as a kick as I'd like, so it's rather odd, but its been blended into the tea, yet somehow, hovers in the background like I do when in the midst of a large gathering - there and present, just not confident enough to make my presence fully known! So the ginger will forever be in the background, not really serving much purpose.

I tried this tea earlier on this morning and felt there was something just a bit "off" about it, something that just didn't work and about a hour ago it finally hit me, it was the fault of the ginger!

I really wanted to like this drink alot. Okay, it's far from awful, it's totally drinkable but it just didn't work for me. On the other hand my mum, who brought the tea, loved it and has enjoyed several cups so I guess it's down to personal preference. 

I am also baffled by the amount of tea you get in the pack. 12 teabags is rather a strange amount as most of Twinings special ranges come in 15's. It's currently on special deal, via Orcado at £3.00 for 12 but I think the original price is £3.50.

I do take my hat off to Twinings for creating some super flavours in the new lines they have recently released and it certainly won't put me off trying others in the new range - I'm currently obsessing over the Plummy Earl Grey. A must have for me!

Sometimes, we all come across a tea that doesn't quite work. This blend is just that. And as hard as it is to write a negative review, I feel I have to be honest. 

As I said earlier, though, it's down to personal taste. What one person doesn't like, another will fall madly in love with it. So why not give this tea a try and make your own mind up! I'd love to hear your thoughts.



No comments:

Post a Comment