Saturday 20 December 2014

Bluebird Tea: Pumpkin Spice


I have wanted to try Pumpkin Spice tea for quite some time. Sadly, whenever autumn hits and the online tea stores are selling this tea for a limited time, I never seem to be able to afford to buy it. When I have researched pumpkin spice tea on Amazon it's quite costly and can only be purchased in large quantities, so when I received a box of Christmas presents from my friend, Rebecca, from The Hot Cuppa blog I was told not to touch the presents but there were some tea samples I could try before the big day. I was delighted to find out that she had, rather nicely, included a sample of Bluebirds Pumpkin Spice tea.

As you can see the tea is perfect for autumn due to it's brown and orange hues. It's so pretty to look at.

Bluebird Tea is a company that I've tried several tea's from and whom I've recently ordered a few things from and they are fab. They are based in Brighton where they have a shop and also sell online from their website, too.

So, as the wind rattled the windows and the rain fell heavily I decided to brew a cup. As I didn't have any brewing instructions, I filled up the infuser and let the tea infuse for just over three minutes. I thought that would be a safe bet.

I have only tried pumpkin once in a cheese cake and that was years ago so I had no idea what the tea would taste like. As I stood in the kitchen I gingerly took my first sip.

I'm not too sure what to think about this tea. I loved the mixture of spices that were used, it was certainly a spicy tea. Although pumpkins are rightly associated with autumn and the festivities of Halloween, this could, just about, be used as a Christmas tea so nicely are the spices blended.

But what of the pumpkin? Well, this is what left me a little flat about the tea. I felt that it was a little bit bland, like it lacked flavour - and this is no criticism of Bluebird rather of pumpkins in general.

In a strange way this tea is almost like a savoury tea. I always thought pumpkins were sweet and they are, from what I can gather from this tea, not as sweet as I imagined them to be.  This maybe isn't the sort of tea that would be good for those who have a sweet tooth! It definitely would suit the savoury lovers amongst us.

Over all I feel a little let down by pumpkin tea (pumpkin tea in general, not Bluebird's specifically). It's like when you imagine something to be so wonderful and when you sit down and actually try it, it's a bit ... lacking. It seemed to be missing something, which I cannot put my finger on.

For me, this just didn't hit the spot. But I do know several people who love pumpkin tea so it's all down to personal preference.

Just like any tea, I would encourage readers to try the tea themselves, it's the only way you'll make your own mind up.  In all fairness, I think I was expecting a little bit too much and the expectations were too high.

But, we can't like everything we try, can we? But I'm very thankful that I finally did have the chance to try this very out of the ordinary tea!






No comments:

Post a Comment