Friday 12 December 2014

Positive Tea Blogging


There are two things that regular readers will probably know about me. The first, and most vital thing, is my profound, unadulterated love of tea. Tea run's in my veins, is firmly established in my heart and is a vital lifeline, a comfort giver and is absolutely divine. The enthusiasm I have is genuine and from the heart and is shared by a great many people around the world.

The second thing is that I love to blog. I love to write full stop, but writing about tea gives me so much pleasure. And I'd like to say that by the positive comments that come through into my inbox people like to read, thankfully. With blogging I can forget the world for ten, twenty minutes, or even a hour or more. It's a joy for me and even if I had no readers, I'd still write these blogs!

If this blog were a person, I'd say it was like Lady Diana in her early days. A bit gauche, innocent, yet to be the beautiful swan I hope it will become. Laura's Tea Room is almost a year old and I hope that as it approaches it's second year it will go from strength to strength.

And, quite innocently maybe, I like the blog to be happy, fun to read and enjoyable. So, with that in mind I was asked this morning by a regular (and supportive reader)  a set of rather pertinent questions.

Why are your blogs always positive? Are you frightened of what  tea company may say if you're negative? 

So, I thought this blog may well be the perfect opportunity to answer these questions.

Well, firstly, I think my blogs are always positive mainly because I'm positive about tea as a whole, and find most of what comes through my letter box appealing and enjoyable.  As long as the tea is of a good quality, blended well, then I'll like it.

I'm not swayed by pretty packaging. Because, I think, we all know that no matter how nice the packaging is, if the contents are foul then you won't purchase the tea again. Recently I blogged about Twinings   Mango Tango and quite clearly stated how I didn't think the tea worked. Yes, it was a new line, yes it was packaged really nicely, but still, it just didn't hit the spot like I hoped it would.

With regards to new tea's I'm rather like a little puppy, full of boundless energy, willing to give each and every tea that I true a fair crack of the whip. But, I'm also honest too and if I don't like it or think that particular blend or infusion doesn't work - I'll say so.

Am I worried about what tea companies may say to me if I write a negative review? Interesting question but the answer would have to be a rather firm NO! To protect both myself and the tea company, if I approach a company, or (and this is happening more regularly)the company approaches me, I now have the confidence to say I will blog honestly and if I find there is something I don't like I'll say it. Every company I've said this to have been more then happy with the arrangement.

Blogging, especially if you are blogging a item or product rather then say, your thoughts on the world, is hard sometimes. If you appear positive on every product you can, I appreciate, appear insincere.  But, I suppose, it's my positive attitude that wins over every time and I wont be deliberately dishonest about a product just because I may of reached a quota of positive blogs!

To summarise: tea is fast becoming the true love of my life, and blogging isn't far behind. When you blend together tea and blogging I am one happy lady. And positivity does win over most times.

But, every review is written from my heart and is considered before pen is put to paper.

I may not have the language to talk about the technical side of tea, but, I hope that my love of it comes through in every post.

And once again, thank you to all my readers who contact me with such positive comments. They are, heartwarming.






8 comments:

  1. Hey Laura - I'm so glad that my questions did not offend you as they were certainly not meant to just interested in getting to know the mysterious tea writer a little more. Your passionate love for tea comes through in every post that is why I enjoy reading your blog so much. It's almost catching actually. I now live in America and we don't seem to get the choice of tea you do I feel as though I experience the tea when reading. Keep up the blog writing we all enjoy it and even though you may not believe it you are getting a positive name for yourself. I swear one day one of those companies will give you a job writing blogs for them one day!

    James, the babies and myself are visiting his family this Christmas (in the US) but I hope to visit my family in London in the autumn next year. I hope you will give me a tour of some of the shops you visit.

    Wishing you a happy Christmas Laura and I hope the holidays will give you the excuse to write more blogs.

    Helena xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good afternoon Helena.

    Please don't worry about it. Your questions were good and made good points and that is why I chose to address them on the blog really. I'm sure other readers have thought the same thing! I'm happy to let people know why I write like I do and essentially it's due to to the fundamental love of tea!

    Have a wonderful Christmas Helena and you can be sure more blogs will appear over December. And I'll be happy to give you a guided tour of London's teashops.

    Best wishes
    Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I chat every so often with Laura and you cannot deny her love for tea. I also know she is spunky and would let you know if a tea was not to her high standards. I agree with you Helen about her blogging professionally. They would be lucky to have her. It's good though she has explained her blogging policy - Juliette, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Juliette. I think spunky is a good description! Have a good Christmas and hope your wedding comes off without a hitch in the New Year. Please don't forget to send me a picture of "the dress". I'm still waiting! ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. *high five* Awesome blog! Back when I made the switch from being a random rambler to a full time tea blogger I was asked more or less the same thing. I hold tea to realllllly high standards because I love it...but by that same token I end up enjoying most the teas I taste. I say 'I have a very discerning palate...I am just not picky with my taste' hehe

    Thank you for writing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comment, Amanda! It's great to hear from people who read the blog! I certainly understand what you mean about holding tea to a high standard! Most of it reaches that standard to be fair (and one or two of my favourite tea merchants excel it too!). But there are tea's that just don't work for me whether it be flavoured tea or just poor quality tea. But they are few and far between.

    As long as you wipe the slate clean with every tea you taste and don't judge it by other standards that is the fairest way to blog, in my opinion!

    Thanks again for the lovely comment! Have bookmarked your blog and will have a good read later on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A big hello to Laura's Tearoom from a first-time blog reader!!
    I haven't managed to read ALL your clearly informative posts yet but what i have read is obviously passionate and it all seems fascinating so far!
    Thanks so much for sending the link, i will be finding time to read more very soon, just wanted to say what a brilliant blog and wish you a very Merry Christmas!
    averyoldfriendindeed............. Kirsty from Nantwich. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, old friend! I am so glad that had the chance to read some of my blogs! Your words mean the world to me and thank you very much indeed! Speak very soon! Love, Laura x.

    ReplyDelete