Monday 1 December 2014

Controversy On Laura's Tea Room? Indeed! Who knew Teasmaids Would Spark Such Debate!

 Yesterday, I blogged about my fantasy Christmas present wish list.  It was a tongue-in-cheek, lighthearted blog about the wonderful tea accessories that are out there, and basically, how much I'd like to own, pretty much, all of them.

But what I wasn't prepared for was the debate that one item on the list would provoke. The simple teasmaid.

What I discovered is there is no middle ground with the humble teasmaid.  People (and I have to admit this is the minority) either love them or (the majority) hate them. I am in the minority and I will stand up and admit that I love the machines and would kill to own one. 

So it makes me wonder why people hate them. 

Firstly I think it's probably because they are fairly "old fashioned". In fact, whilst watching George and Mildred the other day I noticed that Mildred had one on her bedside cabinet. I winced. I think they are considered old hat, kitsch and, dare I say it, just a little bit naff. I'll be honest, my old nan used to have one, and I expect most people's nan's did, too!

I also think they just look cumbersome, they are not sleek, not shiny, not chic like the modern coffee making machines that are out there. I recently spend a hour browsing the kitchen appliances in Curry's and to be fair, though not a coffee lover, the machines do look fab. The poor teasmaid, no matter how it's been re-designed do not look so hip.

But I think there is something quaintly endearing about the teasmaid, despite it's rather old hat style. 

I just think it's brilliant that you could have a cup of tea brewed without even having to get out of bed! How awesome is that! You can be snoozing one minute, then sitting up drinking a mug of keemun (or whatever you favourite tea is) the next minute without even having to leave the comfort of your snug duvet.

What is possibly wrong with a invention that allows you to do that?

However, I do think that there are some changes in the design that could be made which could possibly improve the appeal to the tea drinker. Instead of being a weird rounded shape, why not make it upright like most coffee machines? And changing it from white plastic to stainless steel would certainly work. 

But what the heck! I will stand up and admit that I love teasmaid's and the conventional design does not put me off. 

Would I have one? Yes, I certainly would. Will I ever have one? Hopefully. And not in the too distant future, either!


No comments:

Post a Comment