Monday 22 December 2014

How To Choose And Enjoy Good Quality Tea


There is no doubt that at we sit here today there has never been more choice available to you with regards to tea. You can buy flavoured black tea's, green tea's, white and yellow tea's. Fruit tea's are coming in ever more exotic combination's, and the rise of the "dessert" tea has been extremely popular this year also.

In addition, sales of tea accessories are on the rise, from the humble infuser through to tea sticks, the Sage teamaker through to fancy kettles that click off when it reaches the optimum temperature for whatever setting you've chosen.

There is a utterly fantastic and completely exciting tea world out there.

However, if you put aside the fantastic products, what is most important to the tea drinker is the actual quality of the tea. And this varies. There are some completely fantastic tea's out there, and, at the other end of the spectrum there are some awful ones.

I will admit, if you are a beginner, it's hard to work your way through and distinguish the good from the bad. It's so easy to take good packaging and branding and consider it the best of the best when in fact there could be far better options out there.

Sometimes, and I've learned this through my tea blogging year, that on the surface some tea's can look outlandishly overpriced and that alone is enough to put you off purchasing. However, I've also discovered, to my benefit, that sometimes it's better to have a little less of a good tea, but have a far more enriching tea drinking experience then to have lots of something of inferior quality. But that is my own opinion.

Here are some hints and tips that I've come across in my tea journey (so far) that you may find helpful with regards to spotting, purchasing, preparing and enjoying good quality tea.

1. Look at size options

If there is a tea that you quite like the look of but are unsure about the actual taste, most tea shops are brilliant at giving you a selection of tea quantities. For instance you could perhaps buy a sampler pack which is enough for say, 10 or 15 cups of tea. Other stores may sell a tea in a smaller quantity of,  50g's up to 150g's and even tea that comes in a tin. So if you quite fancy that exotic looking green tea but are a bit concerned that you may not actually like it, then there are plenty of options where you can buy smaller amounts. If you like it, treat yourself to larger quantity. If it's not your thing, you've not lost too much. 

2. Don't judge the tea by the packaging

I have fallen into this trap on more then one occasion. As a consumer I'm quite easy to fool as I'm drawn to bright branding and sleek and trendy packaging. Surely that tea that comes in elaborate packaging tastes better then the tea sold on a small online shop in plain brown packaging? On some occasions it may do, others it doesn't. But don't be put off by the little tea company that sends your tea out in plain packaging. I have found some of the loveliest tea's served up in plastic packaging. Judge the tea by the actual contents and don't not treat yourself to a tea because the company do not have a fortune to spend on marketing. You don't know what you may be missing out on.

3. How to spot if a tea is good quality or not.

One of the easiest ways to spot if the tea you are drinking is of a good quality or not is to simply look into your cup. The picture below is my cup after I had ONE cup of a cheaper tea product (I was at a friends house) that is available in supermarkets. It's pretty gross isn't it?


 Yes, I will admit, I am a black tea drinker, however, I can drink a tea like Northern Tea Merchants Apple Tea all day with virtually no staining. So if you drink your tea black and it stains easily, you may not be drinking the best quality tea.

When purchasing tea's on online websites don't feel bad about contacting the company, and when it comes to a tea like darjeeling, ask what flush (first flush, second flush) the tea is. They should be able to tell you when it was harvested and even what estate it's from. Most companies are passionate about tea and will be happy to tell you about the tea if you want to ask.

4. Tea doesn't have to be daunting.

Ask for advice. I have met some really great people through my tea blog and everyone has willingly and happily given me the time to answer my questions and explain how tea works. We all share the same love and passion for tea, and people normally are happy to share their experience with you. It can be daunting when you are sat at the computer screen. Things can sometimes seem technical. But there are some great vendors out there and some fantastic websites who will be happy to help you.

5. Brew tea properly.

Learn how to brew tea properly. Learn about the type of tea you like, be it black, green, white or yellow and the best way to prepare it. Brewing tea for too long can make it taste stewed, and in the case of green tea, it can go bitter, the taste can go flat and it will be a huge let down for you. If you've splashed out on a good quality tea you don't want to spoil it by mucking it up at the preparation stage. Follow the instructions on the packet - they are there for a reason!

6. Taste

A good quality tea will taste nice it's as simple as that. If it's a flavoured tea then it should be blended well and the fragrance should be subtle, not overpowering. Earl Grey is a perfect example of this. The better quality Earl Grey's should have a natural, citrus flavour to it, with the fragrance being strong enough to enjoy it but not overpowering. If it tastes oily, acrylic or "fake" then the chances are the ingredients are cheaper and you will not get such a satisfying cup of tea.

7. Enjoy tea and be experimental

It's been four years since I started my tea journey and nearly a year since I started blogging.  I never thought when I started to drink tea that I'd experience such lovely blends of tea. I remember quite vividly having a sample of Earl Grey sent to me in the post and standing in my kitchen almost too scared to try it in case it tasted awful. It didn't and there started my journey.

If you are shopping online and see a blend that interests you but seems a bit too exotic, my advice would be to give it a whirl. What's the worst that can happen? You brew it up and realise it's not for you, but hey, at least you've tried. If you had told me four years ago that I would be a fan of Keemun, Yunnan or even Russian Caravan I would of laughed. Now, they are tea's that I absolutely adore and enjoy so much.

Put your foot in the water and experiment. Your bound to to come across blends you are not so keen on, but also, I can guarantee you'll come across blends you'll absolutely love.

8. Trust me, loose is best

I have always felt, and still feel, that loose tea is the absolute best. Popular brands such as Tetley, PG Tips, Twinings and Yorshire Tea all have loose or bagged options. With the rising popularity of infusers and teapots that contain infusers it's never been easier to enjoy loose tea.

Also, many brands now are releasing tea in bags called "tea temples" or "silky pyramids". These contain superior, loose leaved tea, so don't settle for less. Loose tea is so easy to enjoy now. The days of having to empty teapots which is a messy, time consuming job is over. Invest in silky pyramids or a decent infuser and enjoy the wonders of loose tea.

Bog standard tea bags, I feel, simply don't contain the same sort of quality tea. Don't mess out. The world of loose tea is exciting. Get out and explore it!

9. Enjoy!

In my opinion, tea is a gift from the gods. It's a wonderful nectar to be loved and celebrated. Whatever your choice of tea, from supermarket best sellers to exclusive loose tea, love it, drink plenty of it and spoil yourself to the types you fancy.

To me it's something so magical that the thing that is so vital to our existence and survival - water - can be transformed into something so extraordinary.

I love tea ... as you've probably guessed ...









No comments:

Post a Comment