Friday 12 December 2014

Rosy Lee Tea: (P)earl(y) Grey


Today's review is Rosy Lee Tea's  Pearly Grey. For those readers from abroad, Rosy Lee is Cockney rhyming slang for tea!

The flavour of choice today is Pearly Grey, a brilliant play on words. Essentially, the blend is Earl Grey. As Rosy Lee is a East London tea company Pearly Grey is referring to the pearly Kings and Queens that are well known around East London.



Rosy Lee are based in Bow in East London and I was told about them from a friend of mine, strangely from the other side of the world. Funnily enough I'm just about ten minutes on the tube from Bow. I checked out the website and found their Pearly Grey tea which, if I'm honest, really made me smile. I love clever play on words like that.

As you can see above, the tea comes in brilliant little caddies and I absolutely love my Pearly Grey caddie. I'm really taken with it! However, I did chat with a lovely lady from Rosy Lee who said they are currently rebranding their tea packaging, so I may be fortunate to just about get my hands on one!

Reading their website, I was interested to see that their tea is stocked in Selfridge's and in various places from the National Portrait Gallery to the fabulous Museum of London (a personal favourite haunt of mine) so if you are in either of these places you'll find their tea on sale. If you check out Rosy Lee's stockists page you'll be able to access a full list of where their tea is available.

I was very kindly sent a tin of their Pearly Grey tea and their Everyday tea. As a Earl Grey lover I was keen to try that first. I adore Earl Grey because it's a good, solid, reliable tea and on cold days like today it's exactly what the soul needs.

As I drink tea black it's quite easy to brew this tea. I popped the teabag in the mug and left it to brew for a few minutes.

This tea brews to a lovely gorgeous ebony colour and the aroma of lovely citrus comes through very strongly. It really has a pleasant smell to it and it even now I can still smell it in the kitchen!

Pearly Grey is a solid, strong tea. It's really like a posh version of builders tea because it has that amazing strength that you get from builders tea. It's very robust and perhaps is one of the strongest black tea's I've ever tried.

The bergamot is lovely and fragrant and this has the pleasantness that you get with Earl Grey. It's a evenly balanced tea, with the bergamot oil not too overpowering but tasty none the less. It has a lovely richness to it, as well.

I was really impressed with this tea. I've said before that although Earl Grey seems a simple tea to produce, if it's done well it's gorgeous, if it's done badly it's awful. And this was really lovely.

The only bit of caution I'd say is if you take it black don't let it brew too long as it does tend to go slightly bitter if overbrewed. I'd say two minutes will do the job perfectly!

I liked Pearly Grey. It's really nice and a extra special treat as Earl Grey is one of my all time favourites!



No comments:

Post a Comment