Sunday 28 December 2014

English Tea Shop: Honey Melon


As I sit here, feeling a little like a beached whale after a few days of indulgence, I can't help but reflect, as I normally do, on tea.

Just like turkey, mince pies and chocolate, some Christmas spiced tea's can sit a little heavily on the stomach, especially after a full meal, and after several days of drinking a black tea laden with spices, I desperately needed a slightly lighter tea,something that offered a break from the tea I've been drinking over the last few days.

My friend, Rebecca, kindly sent me some samples of tea from the English Tea Shop. They come in a selection pack and are known as Pyramid Prism's. There is a large variety of flavours, from Spiced Pumpkin to Spicy Anaise.

Today, desperate for something light, I opted for Honey Melon. A flavour that I have not experienced in any shape or form. I was extremely interested in this tea.

Honey Melon has a base of black Chinese tea. It has honey and melon flavouring added.

I did not know what to expect with this tea at all and went into it totally blind.

I was washing up some lunch dishes whilst the tea was brewing and the aroma of honey filled the kitchen. It's very strong indeed, but I found it nicely so. I am not a huge honey lover, but have tried it in several tea's and it works really well.

I left the tea to brew for four minutes then settled down in front of the History Channel (was Queen Elizabeth 1st a killer??? I wonder .... ) and took a sip.

With regards to the melon flavour, I wasn't convinced. How could it possibly make itself known through the strong honey flavour. Melon, as we know, is much more subtle a taste then honey. Was this going to work?

Quite frankly, the answer is yes! I was truly amazed that despite the very present flavour of the honey, the melon was easily detectable too. And it's utterly gorgeous.

The melon adds a refreshing, fruity twist to the tea and it's much appreciated on a day like today when you can feel slightly sluggish. More surprisingly though, the honey and melon, despite being two flavours that could be odds with one another, work really well.

The tea, a black Chinese tea, is very light and makes a good base for the strong honey flavour. 

Honey Melon is a incredible tea and one that I enjoyed very drinking very much. I had deliberately kept it back till well after Christmas because, knowing myself very well, I knew that I'd be desperate for something different, something that will make a massive change from what I would be drinking all over Christmas.

I was really pleased that Rebecca sent me a sample of this tea. It's gorgeous. 



1 comment:

  1. I would not put melon in a tea and would not put melon and honey together. I am very interested to try this tea. I will see if they ship here! - Juliette.

    ReplyDelete