Saturday 29 March 2014

The London Tea Company's Raspberry Inferno: What A Tea!


(Photo source: Google)

I have to admit, when I first saw The London Tea Company's Raspberry Inferno tea, I was slightly sceptical. I never really brought into the whole chilli in chocolate thing. I thought it was a bit faddy, and a craze that wouldn't last. So when I saw that The London Tea Company had put chilli in with raspberry for their Raspberry Inferno tea I was a bit ... hmmm!

In my parcel of tea samples a fellow blogger sent me, I had mixed emotions. I was interested, but also slightly cynical too!

When I undid the package that Rebecca had carefully wrapped the teabag in, I was pleasantly surprised by the strong aroma of raspberry. It was so strong that it just made your mouthwater. There was no doubt that this tea featured raspberry!

I was unsure about brewing times so went for about four minutes or so. When I first poured the water onto the teabag, it instantly reminded me of raspberry jelly. And, as it continued to brew the lovely fruity smell developed further. There is also a slight herbal undertone, too.

Raspberry Inferno brewed to a lovely dark, rich, scarlet colour. With the colour, the smell and genuine interest I couldn't wait to try.

On first sip, all I could taste was raspberry, and it's one of the fullest fruit flavours I've ever tasted in a tea. It's so rich and deep that you just don't want to stop drinking it. With so many cheaper fruit teas on the market, it's easy to settle for less, but I honestly have to say this is the sweetest raspberry flavoured tea I've ever had.

So, the chilli? Where was the chilli? It doesn't appear initally at all, and you certainly can't taste it. But within seconds, you get that hot, spicy kick on your tongue. You certainly can't miss the fact this tea has chilli in it. It isn't immediate, you have to give it a few seconds but it's most certainly there!

Was I right to be cycnical about this tea? No is the simple answer. The blenders of this tea have created something unique and it's forward thinking. Yes, we've all tasted ginger in tea, and in some blends it can give a real kick but chilli? That is one brave move, and it works. And, if blenders in the past has not taken risks, then we wouldn't have the wonderful cornucopia of flavoured teas we have now!

I really enjoyed this tea. It's interesting and quirky.It takes risks and is every more enjoyable for that.

For more information on The London Tea Company please go to londontea.co.uk/shop. Have a look around their website, there are plenty of things to interest you!

No comments:

Post a Comment