Wednesday 19 March 2014

Yogi Tea's Classic Organic Cinnamon - A Real Surprise!

Every so often you see something that looks, smells and tastes really different. Today, I found that with a brand of tea I've not heard of before - Yogi Tea.

I was having a lovely chat last night with my fellow tea blogger, Rebecca, who advised me throughout the chat to try health store, Holland and Barrett as they stocked teas that were aimed at improving, or helping your health. So, I popped into my local store and found this little gem (amongst other things that I'll try over the coming months!).

I love spicy, flavoursome tea, whether it be Twinings Mulled Spice or Teapigs Chai. It's interesting, and very warming on colder days.

Out of the choices available I picked two. Classic Cinnamon and Liquorice with Egyptian Spice. Today I'm reviewing the first one, Classic Cinnamon.

Firstly, the box is really, really pretty. Of course, you don't enjoy a tea simply because of the artwork on the box, but it really is lovely and it caught my eye immediately.


I thought the bar code on the box was funny!


The tea, even before I've unwrapped the box smelt very strongly of cinnamon. It's a pleasant smell which makes the kitchen smell gorgeous when you walk in. As I took the plastic off the box, then took out the envelope the smell just got stronger and stronger. I was slightly worried about how strong the tea would be, and whether it would be drinkable. But I needn't of worried.

On the packet it said to brew the tea for seven minutes. Yes, seven minutes! That is quite some time and to be honest I was very busy so I only brewed it for around four (tomorrow I'll try it full length of recommended time).

When I sat down and took my first sip, I still wasn't sure as the aroma of the tea is strong. But as I sipped it tasted really nice. It has a sweetness about it which comes from the cinnamon. But then, because the tea contains ginger, you get a really spicy kick. And after that, because of the pepper added you get a burst of heat. It really takes your tongue on a journey, from sweet, to spicy to peppery.

It's a really unique tea. I think there will be little in-between ground. You'll either love the tea or hate it. It's so very different to the teas that are available in supermarkets, but I can say I was hugely impressed by it.

It's also organic too which is brilliant!

This is a tea that can be taken without milk or with milk. I prefer to take it without. The mix of spices makes it a really invigorating and energising drink, yet, I can imagine if taken at night, with a little milk added it can be just as soothing and relaxing as it is refreshing. It's a versatile tea.

If I could sum this up in one word I would say it's spectacular. Different, but very nice and I would even go as far as to say it's a charming tea. I wouldn't be ashamed to serve this up to guests.

Summary of Yogi Classic Organic Cinnamon

- Available from Holland and Barrett. £2.29 (currently on deal. Two for £3.43).
- Brew for 7 minutes
- Can be taken either with or without milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment