Saturday 29 March 2014

The TeaSheds Mr Grey's Tea: An Impressive Cup Of Tea

(Photo source: Google)

The TeaShed is a new brand to me. As I've said before, my supermarket is relatively small and only stocks the popular and more well known brands. My friend and fellow blogger, Rebecca and I exchanged teas recently, and in the package she kindly sent me she included The TeaSheds Mr Grey's Tea.

I'm a huge fan of Earl Grey. I have many different variations of the blend that Twinings have produced, from "The Earl Grey" to "Classic Earl Grey" and "Delicate Earl Grey". But, as much as I'm a advocate of it, I'm also particularly fussy. I have tried really expensive brands, and really cheap ones, and have never found one anywhere near the standard I find with Twinings.

The problem with many brands of Earl Grey is that the balance is always out of kilter. It's always either too lemony or not lemony enough. And, quite often, the lemon flavour can taste artificial, and in the very worse of cases, like a very cheap washing up liquid.

What I've found through drinking different brands (and I won't name the worst offenders) is many use a sub standard black tea (which is the base for Earl Grey) and try to cover it up by adding too much soapy tasting lemon flavouring. I am a huge Twinings fan, but would admit if they didn't do Earl Grey well, but the truth is they do. They get it spot on.

Finding (or being sent in this case!) a new Earl Grey is something very exciting, so this morning, over Saturday breakfast, I brewed a cup, and I was pleasantly surprised.

The TeaSheds Mr Grey's tea comes in a pyramid shaped teabag. Twinings have their own version, called Silky Pyramids and Teapigs have their tea temples. The mesh which the teabag is made from is silky, smooth and strong.

Now, I don't have any packaging for this tea, but a quick look on the company's website was very interesting. The tea doesn't come in a box, it's packaging is designed like the sort of coffee cups you get in places like Starbucks or Costa Coffee. It's really clever and impressive.

When I took the tea out of the envelope Rebecca had put it in, I gave it a good sniff and it was pleasant indeed. The smell of the black tea is strong, and there is a slight citrus smell to it. I expected it to be lemon, like most Earl Greys but it smelt more like orange, (though, I do have sinus problems today so I could be wrong on that!). Whatever the citrus fruit, it's very, very delicate.

I didn't have any brewing instructions but for Earl Grey it tends to be about three minutes which is how long I brewed it for. It brews to a lovely, dark mahogany colour.

As it was brewing, I inhaled the aroma, and the tea is very similar to Twinings Earl Grey Silky Pyramid, rather then the lemony "The Earl Grey" which is commonly found in supermarkets. Yes, there is a citrus undertone to it, but it's not overpowering.

Upon my first sip I was delighted to find that the quality of the tea is superb. The black tea is very rounded and full flavoured. It warms you up completely when drinking and is a very rich drink indeed.

The citrus flavour is delicate. If you like your Earl Grey to taste strongly of lemon then this may not be the right blend for you. But, I found the flavour to be delicate enough to be detected, but not too overpowering. The bergamont, which is a staple of Earl Grey blends, was pleasant enough, too.

What I loved about this tea is that there was no bitter aftertaste which can often be the case when a black tea is used. It's really lovley to drink a fine quality Earl Grey and this certainly is one of the nicest Earl Grey blends I've tasted. Also, to enjoy Earl Grey without having that soapy taste afterwards is a genuine treat.

I'm really impressed with Mr Grey's Tea. It's a tea with substance, and the TeaShed use some really clever packaging, too. I feel quite honoured to be able to try this tea. It certainly wasn't a let down.

The Teashed is available from Fenwicks and John Lewis. For more information on how to source this superb tea, then go to their website: www.the-teashed.co.uk where you will find all the information you need on the brand, their blends and where you can purchase them.

10 comments:

  1. Wish I had read this yesterday as I could have gone into Fenwicks. But from the website the tea's seem reasonably priced especially with a special offer of extra teabags with some, and postage is £2.50, so I am really tempted to order some (despite the fact that I have just done *another* twinnings order and tea is now occupying 2 shelves in my kitchen)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tea & Teddy! Thank you for the comment.

    I would say go ahead and order some! You can never have too much tea. I really enjoyed the Mr Grey's Tea, and I'm notoriously fussy with regards to Earl Grey blends!

    I do feel for you with regards to tea taking over. I've just had to purchase some caddys as I had boxes EVERYWHERE! (And I still have a vast stock of Twinings fruit tea's which fall on my head when I open the cupboard!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading your blog, and have been inspired to try the new green teas- I started off preferring the gingerbread but now salted caramel is winning. They are great for having at work for those times when we run out of milk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you!

    I love the salted caramel. The three new green teas are so hard to find though where I lived so will be stocking up when I'm in London in May. The caramelised apple is brilliant too. Green tea is fabulous. I never liked it because I never really understood how to brew it properly but now I'm truly addicted.

    Have you tried the Tetley Peach and Apricot green tea? Oh, it's mouthwatering. I'm drooling at the thought of it!

    Thanks for the feedback. I have good reader numbers but no one comments so it's nice to get opinions from readers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just picked up some Tetley's peach and apricot to try.
    I like the jasmine green teas (though haven't tried the ordinary tea bags), and I also have a wild cherry sencha that is quite nice. Clipper green tea with lemon hasn't convinced me yet.

    Just had a good tesco haul, some taylors of harrogate earl grey to try and some pukka english breakfast. I had best get the kettle on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have just made my mouth water there, Tea & Teddy! It's a lush tea, and I mean really tasty! If you like Jasmine then Twinings Jasmine Earl Grey is lovely! It was the tea that started me off on their floral range.

    Not to be nasty, but I just don't get on with Clipper at all and I've tried various kinds that they do!

    I would be interested to hear your take on Taylors of Harrogate Earl Grey. I'm nuts about the Earl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the florals too. The jasmine earl grey is very different from jasmine green though. Will let you know my thoughts on the Earl, might be a few days before I get round to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tend to think Green tea is a seperate entity in itself! But when you mentioned Jasmine the floral one was what sprang to mind. I have Twinings Jasmine Earl Grey. Had one cup but not tasted enough of it yet to form a opinion, let alone blog!

    I look forward to hearing your views!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here is my thoughts on the Taylors of Harrogate Earl Grey http://teapottreats.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/taylors-of-harrogate-earl-grey-tea.html
    Would you like some so you can form your own opinion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi There - I loved your review of the Taylors Tea! Nice and honest, which is what blogs should be. Loved your review of Liquorice Allsorts tea. I find it interesting that it's an essential for you as i rather thought that it was a "special" tea! Loved your review of Lady Grey, a personal favourite of mine!

      I would love to try some of the tea, and in fact, would love to talk tea with you! If you can send me your email then I'll get in contact.

      What I would suggest you do is reply to one of my posts. I have to publish comments manualy, so if you reply then I can get your information off the comment without it being published. Does that make sense? :-)

      Delete