Saturday 12 April 2014

A Quick Run Down On How Long To Brew Your Tea

Today, well about five minutes ago, I received a email from a lovely young lady, called Jodie, who lives in California. She is completely new to tea, and like all of us when we started drinking tea, is baffled by how to prepare tea. So, here is a little run down on the different types and the preparation needed. I'm writing this piece with teabags in mind as this is what Jodie is starting on.

Keep in mind, if you over brew any tea, it will go bitter and if it does, it's quite often undrinkable.

1. Black Tea

  

Black tea is the most robust tea. It's strong and powerful and tasty. It comes plain, in the form of teas such as Orange Pekoe, English Breakfast or Assam. And it can come flavoured like Earl Grey, Lady Grey and Twinings floral range. 

As a rule, you can pour boiling water on teabags that contain black tea. And brewing time is often 4-5 minutes. A bit longer doesn't hurt but in all honesty I would go for 4 minutes. That, quite often, is enough.

2. Green Tea


It is vital to take great care when brewing green tea. Just a minute over the brewing time means it can be foul to taste. 
 
When preparing green tea, it's important to do either of these things. Remove the kettle just prior to it boiling or, if it has fully boiled, then leave it to cool for three to five minutes.If you pour boiling water on green tea, you can scold the leaves and that is what causes a lot of the bitterness associated with green tea. I, like many people, were put off drinking it for some time because I burned the leaves. If you can avoid doing that, then I'm positive you'll really enjoy green tea. 

It has been suggested that you can brew green tea for up to three minutes, but I highly disagree with that advice. Two minutes maximum is all you need. But I often brew for a minute and half. And time it too. Green tea is a tea you have to be absolutely precise with.

3. White Tea



As I wrote in my review of the Twinings blend, white tea is the most delicate tea going. You have to walk it hand in hand through the whole brewing process.

Like green tea, if you burn the leaves it tastes horrible. But if you brew it correctly, white tea makes a wonderful drink.

As with green tea, either turn the kettle off before it reaches boiling point, or, if it does boil then leave it to cool for five minutes. 

This tea does not need brewing for any longer then a minute. General brewing advice says 1-2 minutes and that is correct, but I prefer to brew it for just a minute. And I use a timer. 

4. Rooibos Tea (or Redbush as it's sometimes known).


I'm not a huge fan of rooibos tea, but I have been told that you can brew it between five and ten minutes! I can't say much more then that!

5. Fruit Tea's



In my opinion fruit tea's are by far the easiest tea's to brew, as you simply can't over brew them! In fact, the longer you can brew them the better! 

I struggled with fruit tea at first, it had a weird texture that I couldn't get used to. When talking to a Twining's customer service agent, I mentioned this and she said simply "leave the bag in". Which is what I did. It got rid of that odd texture for me and the flavours came through nicely. 

So, that is pretty much all your tea's covered. To Jodie, in particular, I hope this helps! Enjoy your tea drinking. You'll be starting a very exciting and pleasant journey into the wild and wonderful world of tea!

 
 

2 comments:

  1. Wow Laura. I'm so grateful for your advice. I am amazed that you would write this to help me. At your advice I have brought lots of teas from Twinings USA website. I will order from the UK one as you have so much more choice in what you can buy. Bless you my friend for helping me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jodie.

    I am glad that my little post will help you brew some super tea.

    It's so important to follow the instructions, either here or on the tea box, particularly in regards to green and white tea as a badly brewed tea can put you off for life!

    I do agree it seems there is a large amount of choice on the UK site. I do hope you enjoy everything you've purchased!

    Best wishes
    Laura x

    ReplyDelete