Sunday 20 April 2014

Teapigs Creme Caramel: A Rare Miss For Me

(Photo sourced from google.co.uk)

I will put my hands up and admit that I've tried and tried and tried with rooibos tea. I have given it a go both in pure form and with added flavours, and, sadly it just doesn't work for me.

But, I never give up. So when I am sent a rooibos tea, I will always clear my mind of previous thoughts and try it with a clean slate.

Rooibos tea (or redbush as it's otherwise known) is a tea that originates from South Africa. It has a natural sweetness to it, and also, it's rather smokey in taste, and I think it's the sweetness with the smokiness that puts me off.

When my friend Rebecca kindly sent me a sample of Teapigs Rooibos Creme Caramel, I decided to give it a whirl. I may be surprised and actually like it. So, I decided to brew the envelope.

As it was brewing I could smell an extreme smokiness to it, and I think, from the offset I realised that I may not be this blends biggest fan.

I let it brew for around four minutes.

This tea has a natural, lovely red, coppery colour to it which is, I'll admit, very pretty!

And then for the tasting. I took a sip and was kind of surprised at how sweet this tea is. The natural sweetness from the rooibos and the added sweetness from the creme caramel really does make this a tea for someone with a real sweet tooth. And, with the benefit of having just 3 calories per cup, it would make a really good chocolate/sweet replacement if your dieting.

This tea is rich, smooth and mellow. It's a nice experience for your tongue as the tea is blended very well. The caramel is lovely and natural tasting.

But, I will admit to you, that the overall sweetness to this made it very difficult for me to finish my cup, and I had to stop with a little over a quarter left in the cup. I do not have a natural sweet tooth so this was just a little bit too much for me.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a disgusting tea. It doesn't turn my stomach or make me feel ill, as Lapsang Souchong, for example, does.

I think, when I get to the bare bones of it, this isn't my type of tea as I just can't like rooibos, no matter how hard I try. If the creme caramel was blended with a black, white or green tea, I think it would of appealed a little more to me.

I think you'll enjoy this if:-

- You love rooibos tea
- Love caramel
- Have a sweet tooth
- You are on a diet and need a sweet fix

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this tea at all. It just didn't sit well with me, not to my own personal taste.

I will have to admit that the rooibos battle is one I will always loose, no matter how much I try.

Click here if you'd like more information on Rooibos Creme Caramel


No comments:

Post a Comment