Thursday 10 April 2014

Mighty Leaf Tea Organic Earl Grey: Up There With The Best

The Mighty Leaf Tea company is a tea company that is based in Edinburgh. They are an online company, so they do not have any physical shops. But, last Sunday night, when I was browsing online I came across them and I was interested in them.

I contacted them, explained about the blog and kindly they sent me some samples of their lovely tea. This morning, I got up early so I could really enjoy the tea before I started work. Laying out the samples on the counter top, my eyes directly found the Organic Earl Grey. This HAD to be the one I tried first!


As regular readers know, I love Earl Grey. I like all of the Earl Grey's Twinings produce, plus their Lady Grey and the Floral range, many of which are considered Earl Grey. But, I've also tried some truly awful blends. The very worst being Tetley's Earl Grey, followed by Tesco's own brand.

So when I see a new Earl Grey I approach it with unlimited enthusiasm!

Mighty Leaf Tea comes in the most adorable little pouch. It's hand crafted, and is made from a silky material which looks stitched around the edges. On the website it explains that it's fully compostable, which is great for the environment.


When I took the sample out of it's envelope, the citrus smell was absolutely divine. It was strong, fresh and fruity. I knew this tea would appeal to a Earl Grey lover, you do just get a feeling when you first smell the tea itself.

Watching the tea brew was marvelous. It twisted and twirled inside it's little teabag, and I loved seeing the leaves expand. Silky pyramids or tea temples as they are sometimes called, are all the rage at the moment because you have the luxury of loose tea, with all the convenience of a teabag. This is exactly the same, except it's square shaped!


All the way through the brewing process, the smell of citrus fruits and bergamont filled the kitchen which is something I really love.

I left the tea to brew for around three minutes. I didn't add milk or sweetener. I never do. But when I did, I always took the first cup of a new blend pure so I could taste the actual tea, not mask it with anything else.

After I left it to cool for a minute I started to drink and instantly I sunk back into my chair. It certainly tastes as good as the aroma's suggested. It has a slightly herbal undertone to it, which I quite enjoyed even though, as a rule, I don't normally like herbal based teas.

The citrus flavour was sweet, refreshing and the overall taste was exceptionally pleasant. The lemoney taste, combined with the ever so slightly herbal taste of the tea work really well together. This is a more traditional take on Earl Grey. It's how I always imagined Earl Grey to be before I started drinking it.

This blend left my mouth feeling really lovely and refreshed and I found it to be the perfect brew to accompany breakfast. I was eating lemon curd on toast and it worked very well indeed with the tea.

I don't like overpowering tea's in the morning, so this was ideal. Tasty, but at the same time very subtle. I thoroughly enjoyed this tea, it was a pleasure to drink. If I had more then one sample of this, I would easily of made a second cup before I started work.

The Mighty Leaf Tea company sell both loose tea's and tea's in pouches. And there is plenty to choose from. They sell black, white and green tea. Iced tea, herbal tea, flowering teas and caffeine free teas. They pretty much cover everything!

The Organic Earl Grey Pouch retails at £6.70 for 15, so this could be classed as a luxury tea. However, the quality of the ingredients, the chic little pouch it comes in and the packaging are lovely. If you go onto their website you can buy in bulk, and you have many different options in regards to the amount you can buy.

I would highly recommend this tea. I would consider this a luxury treat, but it truly is worth the money.

If you'd like to explore their website, then please go here: www.mightyleafteas.co.uk


2 comments:

  1. Please you tell me what Twinings this is most like? I have them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sven

      I would say it has the same strength and body as the Earl Grey Silky Pyramid but with the gentle flavour of the Earl Grey Classic which can be found under their International Range. Hope this helps, Sven.

      Delete