Monday 28 April 2014

How Much Are You Prepared To Pay For A Decent Cuppa?


Today I received a email from a lady called Kath who lives in the USA. She has told me how expensive she felt silky pyramids were, and that it was just a rouse for companies to get us to pay more for our tea.

Oh, how I bitterly disagree... and I told her so.

The triangular teabags that have grown in popularity recently are called different names. You have silky pyramids, tea temples, gems, infusers (and much more besides). For the purposes of this piece I will refer to them as pyramids.

So, what is so special about these pyramids? Well, they are different from normal teabags because they contain high quality tea. I have yet to try a temple or pyramid that contains bad quality tea.

Not only that, it's loose tea, so you have best of both worlds. You can experience the luxury of drinking loose tea in all the convenience of a bag. When your busy, or are at work, you don't have to faff around with a pot, and the time consuming cleaning of said pot. You can just pop the bag into the cup, add water, sit back and relax and enjoy the wonderful loose tea with ease and convenience.

The next point that Kath raised in her email was why are they only half filled. Well, quite simply, because they are filled with loose tea's and loose tea expands when water is added. So, by the time your cup is brewed, your pyramid will have gone through changes and will appear to be bursting at the seams. You are not "paying for less" with these tea's. Your getting a little bit of luxury.

And there is the rather thorny issue of cost. I will admit that I, myself, have stood in the supermarket looking up the prices and wondering if I can afford them. On the surface they can look expensive. But what you get when trying these tea's is perfection in a cup.

They are nearly always (well, actually, always, if I'm honest!) well blended. They come uniquely flavoured, and I will openly admit that a cup of Twinings Jasmine Pearls Pyramid tea is the only way I can start my day.

With pyramids, temples, gems, (whatever you wish to call them) you pay a higher price then the average box of fifty, but you get a superb tea, that tastes - and feels - wonderful.

Of course, everyone will have their own opinions on tea. Some, like me, will celebrate them, others will think they are a waste of money.

But I'm proud to be a tea temple/pyramid drinker. I love them. Love the quality, the flavours and the feel of the actual teabag. For me, they are a luxury product. And don't we all love a bit of luxury sometimes?

No comments:

Post a Comment