Saturday 12 April 2014

The Mighty Leaf Tea Company: White Orchard






I realise that my recent posts have been a little green tea heavy. Not that I see that as a problem, but sometimes it's nice to write about something different.  So here is a review of white tea.

White tea is extremely hard to find in your average shop. In fact, it's so difficult that I have only tried two blends, Twinings Pure White and the special edition released last year to commemorate the birth of Prince George. The white tea I have tried, I've purchased either online or at the Twinings store on The Strand.

It's difficult to understand why, on the whole, white tea is ignored by supermarkets. It's a fantastic little tea, very subtle and light and refreshing, too. It's not as robust as black tea. In fact it's really rather dainty. The perfect blend for an afternoon tea. I could just imagine a pot of this with some lovely sandwiches and fairy cakes. It's a shame that a great many people who enjoy tea could possibly be missing out on this wonderful tea.

I was delighted, when I received my parcel from the Mighty Leaf Tea Company, to find that some white tea had been added. This evening, after a busy day, I decided to brew this tea and give it a go.

White Orchid contains white tea, with added peach and melon. I have never had a tea before that contained melon so I was looking forward to trying this!

As with the Earl Grey tea that the company had sent me, the teabag comes in this handcrafted pouch.


I boiled the kettle and let the water cool whilst I was preparing coffee for my boyfriend. By the time I had sorted his drink it was okay to brew. White tea is very similar to green tea in how you brew it. Once the water had cooled a little I brewed the tea for three minutes, although, as you can see, a little longer is fine if that is how you prefer it.

Immediately the smell of peach came through. I like peach in tea, so it smelt divine as it was brewing. As you can see in the photograph below, because the teabags are square shaped as opposed to pyramid shaped, they look like little pillows!



Relaxing after a long day is the best time to try new teas. You can sit back and really appreciate the taste.

On first tasting, this tea tastes very strongly of peach. With white tea being so delicate, when it's flavoured, like it is here, it easily takes on the taste of the fruit. The secondary flavour, melon, is a lot harder to detect at first, and it does come along almost as a aftertaste, but it's pleasant and is a really interesting addition to the tea.

I think all three flavours work exceedingly well together and this is a lovely blend. It's flavoursome, the flavours taste natural and blend well together to make a first class tea.

I enjoyed this hugely and it was lovely to experience a flavoured white tea.

A big thumbs up to Mighty Leaf Tea Company for selling a fantastic blend!

If you'd like to read more about this tea then click here

No comments:

Post a Comment