Friday 4 April 2014

The Frustrated Wondering's Of A Tea Addict

Firstly, I would like to say that normally I'm a fairly positive person, and like to write upbeat blogs for people to enjoy. Today though, I'm still annoyed about my trip to Morrisons yesterday, and wondered if anybody else has felt the same way I do today.

Yesterday, I was up with the larks as it was payday, and I had decided to walk the twenty minutes each way to my local Morrison's store. As my boyfriend and I run our own business as well as my boyfriend being a local councillor, I normally have to do shopping trips like this before I start work.

So, I woke up at 6am, and headed out (missing the early morning showing of one of my favourite films - The Karen Carpenter Story!).

Of course, walking is a pleasure for me. I plug my iPod in, and I'm off. I could walk for miles listening to my favourite music.

I have been desperate to stock up on the new Tetley's Peach and Apricot green tea. It is, quite simply, divine. A good friend of mine had given me a box as a present, but it's nice to have plenty in to offer people if they so want it.


I live in a place called Anchorsholme, which is on the Fylde coast, slap bang in the middle between Blackpool and Fleetwood. It's a small place, granted, but not in the back of beyond, either. We have a Tesco's Metro, which serves me well, but as it's tiny the tea aisle isn't too big. We also have a Sainsburys at Bispham, which is good for tea, but is often own brand heavy. So, I thought, Morrisons is the place to go.

Wow, was I disappointed. I couldn't wait to get in the tea aisle to see what they had that I could purchase to write about on this blog. I was stunned to see that not only did they not have the new blends of Tetley, my beloved Twinings section had been downsized, they had stopped selling Teapigs altogether.

It was a wasted journey, and a waste of my time, and I was annoyed. But what frustrated me the most, was the tea they did sell, they had in excess. Shelf after shelf of Tetley 50 and 100 bags, loads of PG Tips and a excessive amount of Tick Tock tea.

I know that supermarkets stock items they know sell - the stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap mentality. But what about giving customers choice?

It's nothing but lazy retailing to just stock the same blend, but in different pack sizes. I honestly believe that a blend of tea such as the new peach and apricot tea, won't suddenly make people stop buying their normal blend. It's not a replacement, but an addition. Nor do I think it particularly fair to squeeze other blends out and just stock one or two brands but in different varieties.

I can appreciate that no shop (unless it's a tea shop)can sell every blend by every brand. There would never be enough room to fit it all in. But introducing customers to new blends or new brands is a good thing, and would it really take much to keep a couple of shelves free to introduce new tea's?

Nothing frustrates a tea nut more then not being able to access the blends you like. The frustration of tea drinkers was palpable when Twinings released their new blend of green tea's. They were only available online initially, and then only larger stores and Waitrose branches stocked them. No one could get hold of them, and I'm sure that only made their popularity even bigger!

I think, ideally, a supermarket should stock as many brands as they can, and just make the amount they stock smaller - variety is the spice of life, after all! And they should embrace new blends and new brands. And if something doesn't sell well, then just don't re-order!

In May I'm going to visit my mum in London and will be visiting the Twinings store on the Strand. I can be sure I will find everything I need - and more. It's the worlds tiniest shop (well, the best things come in small packages!) but it has everything my heart desires. Until then, I'll rely on online shopping to get my tea fix. That way I can be sure that I find the things I like - and not have to walk miles in the process.



No comments:

Post a Comment