Monday 26 May 2014

Celebrate The Long Weekend With Ahmad Tea's English Tea No.1


A month or so ago, I contacted  Ahmad Tea to ask if they could possibly spare some samples so I could write about them for this very blog. Normally, I will get some loose tea or bagged tea carefully packaged up, and every sample that drops through my letter box is received with thanks and a little bit of excitement!

When Ahmad Tea's samples arrived, I was thoroughly spoiled. I received two gift boxes. The Classical box (seen above) which contains a wonderful selection of six black tea's and the Evergreen box which contains flavoured and pure green tea's.

The packaging of both of these selection boxes is utterly beautiful. As you can see from the photograph, the Classical box uses paintings of various London landmarks, and they are really lovely. Most tea packaging nowadays is very modern so the classical theme of the box is very different.

Although I was tempted to first try the Earl Grey that comes in the box, I instead opted for a blend called English Tea  No.1. Curiosity got the better of me!

Each tea in the Classical box is individually packaged. I love the bright colour of this package. But I will admit that drawing of Tower Bridge made me feel just a tiny bit homesick!


English Tea No.1 is a blend of Ceylon, Kenyan and Assam tea and it's a rather sturdy tea, so you can use boiling water on this tea. Instructions suggested to brew between three and five minutes. I opted to go for four, long enough to get a good flavour, but not too long in case it brewed too strongly.

So, what is different with this black tea? Well, it's ever so slightly flavoured with bergamot. It's taste is very delicate, but it adds something special to the three robust and strong tea's.

You may ask what is different to Earl Grey, as we all know that bergamot is used in Earl Grey. The difference being, of course, that Earl Grey tends to be made with citrus flavours as well, and English Tea No.1 is not.

It's actually very nice to experience the flavour of bergamot without the citrus for once. It really does give a nicely sweet flavour to the tea.

I found English Tea No.1 to be a perfect cup of tea to enjoy on this bank holiday. I brewed a cup and put my feet up and enjoyed the afternoon film. It is delicious, refreshing, and very moreish.

This is a different tea because it makes a change from the normal Earl Grey, but adds something special to plain black tea. I can't recommend this tea highly enough. It would be perfect to serve up with cake for afternoon tea!

You can brew this tea with or without milk, and sweetened or unsweetened. Whatever takes your fancy!

I can honestly say that I've enjoyed every tea that I've tried, so far, from Ahmad Tea. They are a brand I've only discovered recently, and certainly look forward to trying more of their fantastic blends!

For more information on English Tea No.1 please click here. 
If you're interested in the Classical Selection Box, follow this link.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting, most Earl Greys in Canada (where I am) are made with black tea or a black tea blend and oil of bergamot with occasionally blue cornflowers added (I think it's just for looks). So English Tea No. 1 would most likely be considered an Earl Grey. A few companies have an Earl Grey with bergamot and orange/other citrus fruits, but it's not too common.

    Twinings Canada's Lady Grey is lovely blend of orange, lemon and bergamot which was so unique and delicious to me that I instantly fell in love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie - thanks for your comment.

      English Tea No.1 is what I think a "traditional" Earl Grey tastes like, before they started adding citrus flavours to the blend. Twinings have a similar blend, which is their Earl Grey Silky Pyramid which has a bergamot taste without the citrus flavours.

      Lady Grey remains my absolutely favourite tea. I may not drink it daily, but when I return to it, oh my goodness, it's lovely! I think the mix of lemon and orange is wonderful.

      I wonder how much our blend of Lady Grey differs to your's! I have tried the Earl Grey, which is called Classic and comes in a yellow box, which is sold online and it's fabulous. Far more fruity then ours and it's delicious!

      Delete
    2. I'm curious about the difference between UK Lady Grey and Canada's Lady Grey too. When I can get another job, I plan on ordering some teas from the UK Twinings (the online store ships to Canada, hooray!) to see how they differ. Also the Floral Earl Greys really appeal to me! Oh, speaking of that line, Mulled Spice is back in stock online for a limited time! I love it when tea companies do that!

      Delete
    3. I know there is a lot of difference between the different Earl Grey's, but I wonder what it is for Lady Grey. Maybe it's just the packaging but I am interested!

      The Floral Tea's are absolutely gorgeous, Julie. The Rose Garden is my favourite but Orange Blossom is lovely too, oh and Jasmine Earl Grey .... to simply say it they are ALL gorgeous.

      It's nice to see Mulled Spice back. Sadly though I think you can only buy it in caddy form and I don't need another caddy. But worth it if you fancy treating yourself! It's Christmas in a cup!

      Delete