Sunday 25 May 2014

Twinings Tangerine And Verbena Green Tea





(Image from Twinings website)

From what I can gather, Twinings Tangerine and Verbena green tea is a relatively new product. According to their website, in February this year it was available for pre-order, so I don't think it's been on the shelves for very long. I discovered it at the store on The Strand and decided to try a box.

As regular readers will know I do enjoy tea with added citrus fruits, especially those from the orange variety, so to see a tea with tangerine added, well, it immediately caught my eye - and my interest.

The tea, which costs £1.69 for a box of twenty is really nicely priced.

I was really interested in what verbena was, so a quick look on Wikipedia showed that it's a small plant on which multi-coloured blossoms grow.  And it's the verbena that adds a nice sweetness to drinks that it's added to.

I boiled freshly drawn water and let it cool for four minutes. This tea is really delicate, so you have to be careful how you prepare it. After the water cooled, I let the tea brew for just over a minute.

The tea brews to a lovely green colour and the tangy scent of the tangerine was really lovely.

As today is Sunday, I made a cup of tea and then got back into bed, waiting for the Archers omnibus. A perfect way to try a new tea!

I love the fruity flavour of the tangerine. It's is really lovely. It's is quite strong and it's lovely to be able to actually taste the flavour of the fruit.

Underneath it all, the taste of verbena is there, but in no way does it detract from the main flavour of tangerine. I like the verbena. It's very unique and is evenly balanced with the fruit, though I do feel that if the verbena were stronger, then it would make a blend of tea that is just a bit "off". I think it's a wonderful addition to tea.

I liked the use of tangerine rather then the normal orange. Tangerine has quite a sweet flavour and it makes for a really lovely little tea. If you like orange and lotus flower green tea then you'll certainly enjoy this.

Twinings have worked really well with the tangerine. I recently tried a PG Tips Mandarin Tea  which I was bitterly disappointed with. It had so much potential and fell flat  - but as with most of their products, you can rely on Twinings to come through, be inventive with flavours, and do the blend really well.

If your interested in this tea then please pop over to Twinings online shop and check the tea out.

I'd really give this tea a go. It's refreshing and will make for a wonderful, light, summery brew. And it would do really well as a iced tea.

I was really impressed by this tea. Well done to the master blenders at Twinings!

No comments:

Post a Comment